TM33 Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Unhappy TM33 Help Needed

Being the clumsy oaf I am, when I carefully pulled the bowl off of my new BB TM33, a few parts came flying out! That was a first. Anyway, I recognize the AP plunger and spring, no problem there. However, there are two pieces I wasn't sure about and can't see on the exploded parts diagram:

* A black, soft rubber piece that has a hole through it lengthwise and a flange, the other end is slightly tapered.

* A nylon washer that is exactly the right size to fit over the tube the main jet screws into but isn't held in place by anything.

Also, is there anyone out there that has a BB 351 with TM33 at 3k feet that would care to share their jetting.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe the black, soft rubber thing is the cap to the AP rod, part #45 on the exploded diagram. It doesn't quite look like that, but it does fit on the end of the rod. I wonder why it would have been loose?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm. It looks exactly like the AP nozzle plug (part #37), but there is already a plug installed and that is on the outside of the carb body. So I guess the mystery remains.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

take a photo of the parts & I will tell you where they go.
Bill

Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you Bill. Here you go. I feel like an idiot, of course.

Attached Thumbnails TM33 Help Needed-img_1935.jpg  
Old 04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know if it helps, but the graph paper they're laying on is 5 to the inch.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately, that one doesn't show these parts. I have a TM33 exploded parts diagram (http://klx250s.suncup.net/Carbs/TM33...per%20Carb.pdf) but these two parts do not appear to be shown on it, at least not in the bowl. There are some other, similar looking parts, but they're elsewhere on the carb.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

From your pic and the exploded pic you linked to, it sure looks like part# 37, AP nozzle plug, and "sounds" like part# 25, main jet nylon ring. Both items are in the bowl too. I notice some parts are crossed out on the link diagram, but that link shows the nylon piece to fit a TM33. Interesting. What does the main jet screw into if 25 & 26 are absent?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

It sure does look like an AP nozzle plug, but that plug actually is on the outside of the carb. The AP nozzle extends up through the edge of the bowl, passes outside the body of the carb for a bit, then through the AP nozzle plug into the carb throat. But that's exactly what it looks like.

There is a part on my carb that looks like part #25, it has a funny shape, not really a ring, but I had a similar thought. I kind-of suspect that this nylon ring goes over the main jet boss, just below that, and is held in place by the bowl shape. Perhaps it's intended to be a baffle to keep gas around the main jet when you're at strange angles (like during a wheelie?)

It's kinda fun to guess, but I just finished buttoning up after the 351 cylinder install and would really like to get the carb on and get ol' Bessy fired up!

I doubt if either part is essential. All of the important stuff is accounted for. I may just go ahead and put it on and see what smokes. I will probably be pulling the carb again for jetting anyway.

Quick Reply: TM33 Help Needed