TM-33 or 36

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it took a long time to get it right (my right) but when I crank the throttle, Hang On! Don't forget I have unlimited forward traction.

I tell people I removed the little carb with a "Butterfly" and replaced it with one with a "BARN DOOR".

I have a slight lean towards the TM36 because I can use the return cable. I have had incidents in the past.

David

The day I put the TM36 on, I took it for a ride. At a stop sign while making a rolling stop, I turned the bars and cranked the throttle. Front tire went UP, bike went straight. No real problem. My eyes were probably pretty big.
Another time I had just put on a new rear tire. Turned a corner, cranked the throttle and the rear wheel went right out from underneath me like some one pulled a rug out from my feet. I think they call it a low side. Cost me some paint and a front brake lever. This was a while after the 351. I ran the stock carb till funds loosened up for the TM36.

Last edited by David R; 08-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive got my tm36-68 dialed in, and I love it.. really improved low end torque and throttle blipping and response.. its smooth off the line for street too.. you gotta play with it for a few weeks to get it dialed in but once you do its pretty much set and leave it forever.. love this carb.. I hit 85 GPS in top gear

Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

hey tiger is that jetting in your signature correct for the TM36? 20 pilot seems a smidge high....

I’ve got the 351cc kit to go in this weekend but I am wondering what jetting im going to have to run..... Bill said that he just ran the stock jetting that came with the kit for his bike when he put on a TM36-68 but I am think that won’t suit for my elevation, mods + AU model with different ignition timing....

I hope I dont have to go through the carb turning process too much again.... gezz it was a pain the butt the first time.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I have similar jetting

585-P-6 Needle Jet, 9DZH6-50 Needle (#3 clip position)
17.5 pilot, stock air pilot 130 main.

It could be a little richer just off idle. Needle could go up one notch maybe.
BUT I have seen 60 mpg and usually get 57+

I pull the choke out, fire it up. and drive away. I push the choke in before the first stop sign. If I keep the idle up a little, it will not stall and I am good for the rest of the morning.

Otherwise, the bike goes like a raped ape.

David

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks David.

The weird thing is that your current jetting is exactly what I am running now except for the needle as I am running the slightly richer 9EBY01-51 needle. But this is on a 250cc???

I think ill just have to get the 351 in and see how it runs with the current settings and go from there.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilapples
Thanks David.

The weird thing is that your current jetting is exactly what I am running now except for the needle as I am running the slightly richer 9EBY01-51 needle. But this is on a 250cc???

I think ill just have to get the 351 in and see how it runs with the current settings and go from there.
A little off topic but keep us updated on your 351 install. A few weeks ago I started a few treads and asked alot of questions but haven's made the purchase yet.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

hey tiger is that jetting in your signature correct for the TM36? 20 pilot seems a smidge high....
Yup I run everything a tad rich.. not much performance loss, and what I wanted was a smooth take off just off idle, then a nice punch in midrange and of course, my main is nice and lean.. the issue I had with this carb was a jumpy back-injuring jerkiness off idle.. I couldnt stand it.. for the dirt, 15 pilot is perfect.. but the way I have this dialed in, its perfect for ME.. 90% street, 10% dirt.. wheelies, roostertails, plenty of punch, and smooth off idle.. I love it.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
A little off topic but keep us updated on your 351 install. A few weeks ago I started a few treads and asked alot of questions but haven's made the purchase yet.
I would, but truthfully I don’t think I will be able to add any new information to this mod as it has already been really well documented on this forum.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a TM33/34 & was going to adj the needle clip. Can you do this without pulling the carb? Do you go in through the top or through the slide access on the rear?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks David.

Something to remember is that the bigger bore doesn't really mean you need to rejet bigger. the bigger bore will create a bigger suction through the carb and fill the comustion chamber. if the carb bore size is corect, and the valves are large enough to pass the increased volume, the jetting should be the same i would think anyway. the jetting will give you the correct ratio of air to fuel, and the bore or PUMP, will determine how much of the mixture can be sucked in. I THINK!!!!
could be wrong but that is my basic understanding......