TIRES..i'm so confused..

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: TIRES..i'm so confused..

Here is the link of the thread for the full system Muzzy. Yes, get the one for the KLX 300... and yes get the dyno jet kit for the big power gain

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_33272/tm.htm

Old 05-12-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks to Marty and Inca for your help. I ultimately have to be honest about the % of off road to on road riding. My nature is to always go with an aggressive tire, but for this bike that wouldn't be the sensible thing for me to do. What do you think about the GP-1 on the rear, and the more aggressive BR-92 on the front? I find that I tend to wash out on the front with the stock tire(could be fork set up also, as I haven't messed with it yet). Being the front tires last longer than the rear, do you think the forementioned set up would work? Or do you feel that the great difference in aggresiveness would affect the handling too much?[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Gravy Train

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Hey all i think this is my first post. I am going to use this bike more on road than off, and like everyone else the tire is wearing quickly, what kinda tire can i get more miles out of and still have good to decent off road traction? I ordered a muzzy slip on muffler, keeping the stock header pipe. I plan on just doing the muffler for now, any issues with this? Its not going to hurt the bike or anything will it?

If you havent already heard, I will be the one to bust your bubble about the Muzzy slip on with the stock head pipe. It will NOT fit. I was gonna go with the slip on and had ordered it. I had to stop the order since I read a couple of people had tried the slip on version and found out that it was to short. Sorry to be that guy... Go ahead and spend the extra $$$ and get the full system and the jet kit.. well worth it....

GT,

Do you think that something might have happened to the original post about tires here?

You don't think that . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Name:  tj.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  2.2 KB Name:  tj.jpg
Size:  2.2 KBName:  tj.jpg
Size:  2.2 KB

or anything like that might have happened now, do you?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tj.jpg (2.2 KB, 13 views)
tj.jpg (2.2 KB, 11 views)
tj.jpg (2.2 KB, 11 views)
tj.jpg (2.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-21-2006, 04:56 PM

Any idea as to how gas mileage is affected by this power upgrade?

Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Marty is this a kenda 270 tires set? You are calling it a GP-1? Is it one and the same? Looks exactly like my Kenda's.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nevermind, I can see the differences now. But they are close.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I will have to try the IRCs. I find that the Kenda's are DEFINATELY way too squirly for me. I am glad to read this thread because I thought it was me! The 603s really wear fast but were much more stable on road. I tend to go a bit too supermoto with mine anyway. I hit the corners like I am on my sportbike! The squirliness of this tire really kills confidence. I have also noticed that it chirps the tire on 1-2 shifts. I could never do that with the 603. I feel the Kenda just does not cut it for street use. It is a shame because I bought it based on the fact that it has a lower void ratio and would put more rubber on the ground, thus increasing my asphalt traction. I have found just the opposite.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

i have 161 miles on my bike now and i must say the stockers r sh1te in the dirt.... feels like im ridin a skidoo in the loose stuff and like im drivin on marbles on loose gravel.. def gonna be lookin for tires as soon as the stockers start to show wear. ;(

Old 07-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I put about 1000 miles on my Kenda 270's and will agree that you should be careful riding aggressively on the street. I don't really ride agressive on the street so that aspect did not affect me. Even still, the K270 is a very hard compound so even without the tall treads which lend to the squirreliness you mentioned in tight corners, it's street grip is not so great. I've locked up the rear tire quite a few times until I got used to them, and stopping distance is not as good as with the softer compound Dunlop 603. That said, they last a very long time. You can barely tell there is any wear on my 1000 mile K270's. I've since taken them off and replaced them with Kenda Trak Master II's which I really like a lot, especially for off-road. These tires have great traction. I can already see wear on them, so I don't think they will last nearly as long as the K270's. But again, if you ride aggressively on the road, I don't think you will be happy with the Trak Master II's either (Kenda 760).

Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LeftyS7

Any idea as to how gas mileage is affected by this power upgrade?
Not too much. When completely stock, I would get anywhere from 65 to 70 MPG depending on riding conditions. After all my mods which include rejetting, airbox mods, Muzzy exhaust, and even a 300cc big bore upgrade, my last MPG measurement showed about 64 MPG that was a mix of trail and road riding.

Quick Reply: TIRES..i'm so confused..