Tired of the Wimpy Stock Horn?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tired of the Wimpy Stock Horn?

Most motorcycles come with pathetic stock horns, but dual sports seem especially bad. I suppose manufacturers are trying to save weight and prevent unnecessary protrusions, but it seems like they install the LEAST horn they can get away with. Needless to say, there are obvious safety concerns with a horn that is effectively useless.

I recently ordered a dual tone air horn from eBay and installed it on my G650X. I haven't had a chance to legitimately test it in an emergency situation yet, but I have no problem believing the claimed 136dB.

The packaging was pretty sparse and the box arrived pretty beat up. The relay was damaged and I was considering returning it until I tested everything out and it all worked fine. I just substituted a spare relay I had out in the garage. (for $15 including shipping, what do you expect!?).

I am not sure where the best location on the KLX would be to mount it. A bracket could probably be fabricated to mount it up above the rear tail of the front fender. There may also be some room around the air box. It's not a particularly heavy (<0.5 kg) or large unit (12 x 11 x 5 cm).

It's turned out to be one of those upgrades I wish I'd done years ago on every bike I have ever owned.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Link to the eBay seller?
I've looked at the Stebel Nautilus, claims 139dB.
Guy I know has a high roof Sprinter van, the horn sounds as though it's a MoPed beeping at you. You look and there's this massive van. Too funny (sad?).

Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been wanting to get a louder horn but have had some concerns over the power draw. Maybe you can shoot a video of it after installed.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I've been wanting to get a louder horn but have had some concerns over the power draw.
Yup, your concerns are valid. You'll need a relay & dedicated 10A fuse. Just for fun I initially plugged the airhorn into the stock wiring harness for the stock horn and it blew the fuse in that circuit right away...

As far as being concerned about overloading the overall electrical system, however, it's not a problem...

Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Yup, your concerns are valid. You'll need a relay & dedicated 10A fuse. Just for fun I initially plugged the airhorn into the stock wiring harness for the stock horn and it blew the fuse in that circuit right away...

As far as being concerned about overloading the overall electrical system, however, it's not a problem...
Where did you place the relay and fuse? Any pics?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Where did you place the relay and fuse? Any pics?
Unfortunately I buttoned it all back up before snapping pics of the fuse & relay. The fuse is just a little in-line unit which I located under the fairing as close to the battery as possible, and the relay simply bolted in place of the stock horn I removed (again, up under the fairing).

I have lost the link to the eBay seller, but an eBay search of 'super loud motorcycle air horn' should yield numerous results for the same thing I bought.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Most horns have a screw with a locknut on back. Loosen the lock nut and you can change the frequency of the horn by adjusting the screw.It can make a big difference if your horn is lame.
marc

Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Maybe you can shoot a video of it after installed.
IMG_2899_zpse43b087c.mp4 Video by glenocytocis | Photobucket

Old 06-29-2013, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Link to the eBay seller?
I've looked at the Stebel Nautilus, claims 139dB.
I installed one of these on my "rice wagon" aka Subaru Outback! Couldn't stand the "meep meep"! The Stebel has a nice loud air horn sound and is marketed for motorcycles & autos. I also got a separate wiring harness and wired directly to the battery with relay and fuse included. Cell user's, text'r's and other inattentive drivers now get a real wake up call. I didn't put one on the bike because I only ride pavement the shortest distance to the dirt while avoiding town. If you ride in traffic I'd recommend the Stebel or one that is equally loud. Personally I'd like one that sounded like a rapid fire 12 ga. shotgun! Oh YEA!