Tire wear and front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 02:36 PM
Default Tire wear and front end vibration

Hey guys! Long time street rider and new to the dual sport/offroad scene. I recently traded my vstrom for a 2007 Kawasaki KLX250S. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the bike and noticed a couple of things. The tires are definitely a bit old. 2015 date codes on the tires. It's currently running Pirelli MT21 front and a Michelin AC10 rear. How do I tell how worn dual sport tires are? I'm used to looking for flat spots, wear bars, etc. on road tires but have no clue what I'm looking at when looking a knobby tires.

I'm also noticing a bit of front end vibration when I hit about 50-60km per hour. The front end bobs up and down for lack of a better explanation.. it does so pretty quickly so it's like a vibration. Is this typically tire caused?

I adjusted the suspension a bit and it made it better but the motion is still there and a bit unsettling. I worried about taking it to highway speeds. Thoughts on those familiar with the bikes?

Cheers!

Old 04-08-2021, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider828
Hey guys! Long time street rider and new to the dual sport/offroad scene. I recently traded my vstrom for a 2007 Kawasaki KLX250S. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the bike and noticed a couple of things. The tires are definitely a bit old. 2015 date codes on the tires. It's currently running Pirelli MT21 front and a Michelin AC10 rear. How do I tell how worn dual sport tires are? I'm used to looking for flat spots, wear bars, etc. on road tires but have no clue what I'm looking at when looking a knobby tires.

I'm also noticing a bit of front end vibration when I hit about 50-60km per hour. The front end bobs up and down for lack of a better explanation.. it does so pretty quickly so it's like a vibration. Is this typically tire caused?

I adjusted the suspension a bit and it made it better but the motion is still there and a bit unsettling. I worried about taking it to highway speeds. Thoughts on those familiar with the bikes?

Cheers!
Watching for responses, as I'm in the same boat as you as far as experience with these knobby tires. I also think I have a warped brake rotor, as I can visibly see it wiggling side-to-side if I watch it while moving at speed. I'm surprised it would be warped this quickly, as it only had 900 miles on it when I bought it.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to balance your tires. ... or your tires are out of round. I have had both.
Bent brake rotor doesn't effect a dirt bike too much. Does your lever pulse?

Old 04-08-2021, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I generally run Dunlop 606's so, they are pretty smooth on asphalt roads. As noted above, the first two issues I would look for are 1) out of round from sitting too long in one spot and 2) tire balance.

I haven't warped or worn out my front brake rotor and I use the front brake pretty hard on the street. Putting your KLX on a stand and rotate the front wheel. A bad rotor will be easy to spot that way.

Regarding tire wear, the ***** are the wear indicator!

Most people will replace the tire due to lost traction off-road before the tire is generally at its end of life regarding general tire safety. Realize the traction loss though before you hit rain-soaked streets if you are commuting because a worn-out knobby on the street can be super slick (i.e. low traction) and is more prone to punctures.

And congrats on your 2007 model! The 2006 and 2007 have the older KDX/KLX-300 off-road suspension setup! Mine will take the speed bumps at the exit gate at work at ~40MPH/~65KMH with the front forks sprung for my weight!

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I bet you have rim locks for low-pressure tire use. Those will definitely do what you describe on the street.
Rocky Mtn ATV rim lock

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I can def feel some lever pulsing @ low speed. If it's not too difficult to post video here, I'll get a video @ speed so you can see the rotor wobble.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I can def feel some lever pulsing @ low speed. If it's not too difficult to post video here, I'll get a video @ speed so you can see the rotor wobble.
Sounds like you have some definite braking issue. Good luck with the diagnosis and fix!

Old 04-08-2021, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I change out back tires when the traction sucks on dirt/gravel. Definitely feel the difference. Front tire goes when the rear does, usually cupped bad enough and will not make it through two rear.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I hit a tree root out in the desert and bent my front rotor, I don't think I'll replace or mess with it. It's my 'dirt' bike!
If you have rim locks, and no balance wts, you are definitely out of balance.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

A factory replacement rotor shouldn't be too expensive. I'd replace a bent one, even on a dirt only ride.

Quick Reply: Tire wear and front end vibration