Tire / tube / valve stem / slime question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Tire / tube / valve stem / slime question.

Had a flat rear while riding today. Had to ride about 2 miles home. When I took out the tube the valve stem was yanked out of the tube. I figured the rim spun while riding flat up n down hills.

Tested the tube for a leak just for grins and there was no leak in the tube.

I'm guessing the stem was what was leaking. Is there a way to better protect the stem on the inside to reduce rim wear?

I use slim for tubed tires. Naturaly it didn't do anything but make a mess THIS time. What's the verdict on Slime? Use it /, Don't use it, Pros n cons.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

pros: balances your tires, keeps them cooler, avoids flats when riding over prickly pears.
cons: icky sticky, goons up your tire gauge, $$$

probably more.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

My opine is no slime ever...that tire is heavy enough already, never mind the mess....just carry your irons and patch kit .... thats what I do.

Trail tire repairs go real quick.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Told ya all a million times leave the nut loose on the valve, since I have done that never had another flat

Old 12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default tires etc

No on the slime, fit rim locks and like maverickaus says leave the nut loose on the stem.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

How is anyone ever getting a flat? I have over 10,000 miles on all kinds of riding areas. I just run the max air, and the Kenda Heavy Duty Tubes, and have yet to get a flat on either tire.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tape

last year i tryed 2 way tape .12 inch piece on both sides of rim. moved 1/8 with 12 lb air. about 1000 miles. old dave 331 jet kit header klx 300 muff. lid off air from klx300

Old 12-31-2008, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Do I need rim locks? My klx doesn't have them. I have spun a stem down inside the rim before with no nuts before. It seems that on a dual sport adding a rimlock might cause tire balance problems at higher speeds. Is that why the KLX doesn't have them?

Why such a hard line on "no slime" ? I think I would rather put up with the mess in my well lite heated well equiped garage than change a tire in the woods. I don't like running patched tubes so "fixing" a flat in the boonies means I need to carry a spare tube or patch the tube on the trail then replace it when I get home.

Any particular tubes people favor? This Ultra HD michelin is heavy, bulky and hard to get into the tire .

Last edited by horizonod; 12-31-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

No slime, think about 1/2 quart of slime in a tire at 70 mph.

Flood,

Old 01-01-2009, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
Do I need rim locks? My klx doesn't have them .
YES! Install a rim lock and get some spoke weights to balance it out. Or you can do what Deej does and keep max air pressure in the tire. But running max air presssure robs traction and makes for a hell of an uncomfortable ride as the back end of the bike bounces around alot over rough terrain. A rim lock mod has been the best mod I've done to the KLX. I wish Kawasaki had done a rim lock from the factory.

Mike

Quick Reply: Tire / tube / valve stem / slime question.