tire size , what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default tire size , what should I get?

tires are bald, mechanic even told me to get new tires and I think he's right because I'm getting a lot of drag when letting off the throttle or shifting.

looking to get 80% street 20% dirt tires

I don't like skinny front tires ...looking to get something a little thicker on the front (thick as in the height from the rim)
what size should I look for?

like the Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3 , but don't really want to pay that much right now.

Last edited by horror_fan; 02-20-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I got the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 A/T tires on my bike. Great handling tires on the street and does fine on single track and fire roads.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...re-size-38762/

Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I got the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90 A/T tires on my bike. Great handling tires on the street and does fine on single track and fire roads.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...re-size-38762/

those are bad ***

did you install it yourself?
I got three quotes $109 , $150 and $200! just for labor...
one guy said it would be an 1hr of labor ?! to change a tire ?!
im a car guy , new to bikes and that just seems ridiculous

I know tire changing could be a PITA just fkn frustrating ...but that seems like too much
would totally pay a forum member a six pack and 50 bucks if they wanted to help me out

what tires fit on the back I noticed that the rear is like 100/100 18 ,
but most of the after market tires seem to have wider tires like 130

Last edited by horror_fan; 02-20-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Learn how to change your tires. You may need to fix a flat in the middle of nowhere someday. GOOGLE is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?as_q=c...ype=&as_rights=

Ride on
Brewster

Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Learn how to change your tires. You may need to fix a flat in the middle of nowhere someday. GOOGLE is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?as_q=c...ype=&as_rights=

Ride on
Brewster
true
I've changed tires before .. i think its just a pain in the ***.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

It becomes less of pain with practice.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I change both my Versys and KLX tires. Versys is a pain in the backside, if I didn't live 25 miles from the nearest shop, I'd pay them to do it. KLX is worse than a bicycle but not by much.. no way I'd pay $50+ for that...lol

Old 02-21-2018, 03:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster

Ride on
Brewster
Very true. Unless you're just an urban or paved highway rider, you'd better be able to fix a flat which is basically akin to being able to change a tire. I can't imagine sitting on the side of a jeep road in Utah or Colorado on one of those trails where you never see anyone all day long and having a flat tire with no knowledge or way to fix it. No cell phone coverage, no help, maybe a cold night out or a long walk out. Not everyone uses their motorcycles in the same way, so if you're always around civilization, then yes, you can call for help. I hate being that dependent. It's not why I got a KLX.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Very true. Unless you're just an urban or paved highway rider, you'd better be able to fix a flat which is basically akin to being able to change a tire. I can't imagine sitting on the side of a jeep road in Utah or Colorado on one of those trails where you never see anyone all day long and having a flat tire with no knowledge or way to fix it. No cell phone coverage, no help, maybe a cold night out or a long walk out. Not everyone uses their motorcycles in the same way, so if you're always around civilization, then yes, you can call for help. I hate being that dependent. It's not why I got a KLX.

No I agree with what your saying.. I always feel stupid when I think about paying for service I can do myself and never can get myself to do it. Id rather F up the thing learning how to do it right.
And I also bought my KLX to have something to work on in the garage ..as well as learning how to rebuild engines.

But I think in this case, its more of a laziness issue. its just a damn PITA and doesn't feel that rewarding of a repair. Compared to like and engine rebuild or something ..changing the tire doesn't really feel that great of a skill or "project"...just IMO.

Last edited by horror_fan; 02-23-2018 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

When your miles from nowhere with a flat. It becomes a rather important skill. Haven't seen a lot of trail side engine rebuilds. I have fixed a few flats.

Quick Reply: tire size , what should I get?