Tip for Removing Front Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tip for Removing Front Sprocket

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

ORIGINAL: okiswede81

it does, just slide the wheel forward and it gives you enough slack to take it off the sprockets.
I guess maybe you don't need to take the chain off... But really it's not hard.
Once you figure out the technique for pressing out the pins, you could do it blindfolded (OK, well almost).

Ya it's pretty easy to undo the chain with the right tool. what I always found hard was to put the clip back on the master link. With a o-ring chain you have to squeeze the crap out of the master link to get the clip back on. It's a pain. I'd slide the tire forward if that works. My 2 cents...

LV

Old 09-08-2006, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

When I put the 13 tooth on I tried to just loosen the back tire to get the chain off .... it was real close but I couldn't get it and ended up taking the chain off with the master link, but there may be a trick.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Last time I removed my sprocket I used a large 1/2 breaker bar and a 6 foot cheater bar slid onto it.

Leverage kicked it's a$$ , but it was still a effort and almost thought I was going to snap something.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:58 AM

Well, I got it done tonight. I ended up doing it without undoing the master link on the chain. I considered it, and even tried it a little bit, but I did not see a convenient way to get the little clip off. I was also afraid I would have problems getting it back on. I have struggled with regular snap rings before, and that's no fun.

Anyway, with a little fiddling I was able to convince the sprocket to come out and snuck the new one in.

The frustrating thing is that I did not get a chance to ride with the new sprocket. I went straight into installing my Moose brush guards and had problems. While drilling out the slugs in the handlebar ends, I got offline and drilled through the OD of the handlebar. What a moron! The real problem is that it was on the throttle side, so the throttle tube is affected. I could probably drive it as it is, but I would be so concerned with the throttle action that I would not get to enjoy the new 13T sprocket.

I am going to have to make an emergency handlebar purchase tomorrow. I guess I am going to have to go with whatever my Kawa dealer or the KTM dealer down the street have in stock. I hope I can get out for less than $50, but I am not holding my breath. Anybody have any advice on watch outs when buying handlebars. I know that Renthal is a good brand. Are there any other lower end brands that are still pretty good where I can save a few bucks. My wife is about to kill me with all of the $ I am poring into this "gas saving commuter vehicle".

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

In one of my earlier posts I commented you don't have to drill out the plugs, you just bash them in breaking the welds in the process. Not pretty but effective. I used an old socket small enough to fit inside the handlebar and a ball pein hammer. This is too late for you cwgoff but maybe might save someone else.
Renthall bars are excellent, I got mine off ebay for about 1/2 the normal price.

Cheers

Garry

Old 09-08-2006, 12:50 PM

Mav,

Any chance you remember the bend or your Renthals? I am pretty much going to have to go with whatever the two or three stores have available, but I would like to get something close to the stock sweep, but with a little more rise and little bit more narrow center section (i.e., more real estate to mount stuff on the "hand" part. I need to load up the bar with stuff. I am putting on new mirrors (extra spot on the right, replace OEM on left), Moose hand guards and a National Cycle bar-mount windscreen. It's gonna get kinda tight I am thinking.

For anyone that's interested, I will be posting pics of the windscreen. I know most of you will consider this sacrilege, but I will be using this bike to commute through the relatively mild NC winter. I am going to need something to know the cold wind down a bit. It is easily removeable I am told.

Anyway, any specific Renthal part #s or bend names would be appreciated. I have already seen the one or two here, so if you have already posted your info, don't feel compelled to post again. If you just want to drive up your post count, though, then it would help to get all of the part #s, etc. into one thread.

Thanks all,
Chris

Old 09-08-2006, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Chris, sorry mate I just saw Renthal handlebars on ebay and bought em, I have no idea at all what bend they are. In fact I didn't even know they had different bends till I started on these forums
Garry

Old 09-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Mav, I didn't know about the bends either. I guess I am probably just over thinking it now that I know there are options. I will probably just go by the shop and get the best deal on a Renthal or other reputable bar that looks like it will work with my Moose guards.

Thanks.

BTW, Mav - an off topic question. I am a big fan of Kasey Chambers. There are a few of us in the States. Are you familiar with her? I get the impression that she is quite big there.

Anyway, back to green motorcycles.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
For anyone that's interested, I will be posting pics of the windscreen. I know most of you will consider this sacrilege, but I will be using this bike to commute through the relatively mild NC winter. I am going to need something to know the cold wind down a bit. It is easily removeable I am told.
Actually, I'm interested in what you come up with - please keep us posted.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:01 PM

I will Brian. For now I can tell you that I will be using a National Cycle Deflector DX. It is available in a clear or light gray tint. Either version is also available in a 7/8" or 1" bar mount. I already know that I will have to modify the bottom shape to conform to the headlight shroud.

Speaking of that, I have a few questions about aerodynamics that I will throw out. I will start another thread on that though.

Quick Reply: Tip for Removing Front Sprocket