Thumper Racing 340cc upgrade costs and options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thumper Racing 340cc upgrade costs and options?

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Here is my best guesson why they don't put sleeves in the KLX large bore kits.

You have to remove more metal from the cylinderin order for it to accept a steel sleeve. If you look atMarty's 250Scylinder that was sleeved and bored by Bill, he had tobore into the water jacketto make a bigenough hole for the sleeve.This can creatthin spots that might lead tofracturing of the alluminum which surrounds the sleeve. We'll wait and see what their answer is.

I will also add that Nikasil has less friction and superior long-term wear characteristics.
Dean,

Your last post has made this topic even more interesting to me...

First, I don't think I need Bill to answer my question. I still have the box he mailed my pumper carb in, and it says L.A. Sleeve, so I'm guessing that's where he gets the sleeves.

The LA Sleeve website says their sleeves are centrifugally spun Molly 2000 iron alloy castings, which is an alloy of carbon chrome, and molybdenum of 200 "Brinell" hardness.

Like you, I am concerned about disimilar metals expanding and contracting at different rates. Now, I'm more curious about the strength of the cylinder that has been bored and coated. Boring into the water jackets to make room for the sleeve in now intriguing to me. Putting the outer edge of the sleeve into the water jacket would mean that I can skip the transfer through the disimilar metal step. So now I'm more confused. How strong is a seamless sleeve? How strong is an aluminum cylinder that was designed for one bore size, but has had material removed? And exactly how different are their friction coefficients? Is there different piston rings for the moly sleeve vs. the nikasil coating? So many questions... I don't intend to race my KLX, so which I eventually choose probably won't make any difference...

I'll wait and see what kind of answer you get from Kustom Kraft...

Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes I use L.A. Sleeves & Advanced sleevesdepending on what my customers needs are.

The330 kit does not bore into the water jacket thats why its called a dry sleeve. L.A. does make a larger sleeve for the 300 that does bore into the water jacketit alsois used for the 330 borethey don't recommend using it.I don't know if the trhumpers 340sleeve bores into the water jacket.

I dont know how much more friction the sleeve has over the plated cylinder.

I like the sleeve over the plated cylinder because you can bore it to the next oversize cheaper than boring & plating.

The Sleevehas .004 interference at room temp. the nest is heated to 450 Deg. the sleeve is frosen & then installed let the assembly set over night then finish bore & honed to fit the new piston.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Bill, I'm sure you've been asked this more than a few times. Just what do you charge to asleeve Etc? Is a piston, Etcincluded? I'm working on getting a 300 cylinder through E-Bay or.
Thanks for any Help

Old 09-10-2007, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

The complete kit comes with installes sleeve, piston, rings, pin, keepers,top & bottom cylinder gaskets. The cost for the kot is $350.00 I charge $100.00 to bore the nest install the sleeve bore & hone the sleeve to fit the new piston.Total cost will be $450.00 + shipping to your destination.At this price you will need to furnish the cylinder for me to modify.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Bill,
Thanks for the info . I'll get back to you when I find a cylinder.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Just to clarify Bill is that the 250 cylinder or can the 300 cylinder also be used?

Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll be sending Bill my 300 cylinder this winter....

Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM

I had a 340 kit installed in my 06 250. TR did the work. However, they provided a used 300 (292) cylinder, bored it to accept a sleeve, provided piston, (proprietary, a replacement is available from TR only) put the motor together, and it works just fine.
This type of mod has been available for several years for the klx300r. The mod apparently works fine. Estimated life is about 8000 miles, then a new piston/rings are needed.
With my 250 (340) there are no overheating issues. Also the 06 KLX250s cooling system is more robust than the older klx250r. It takes about 3 tankfulls of gentile riding to break it in.
I kept my old 250 cylinder and piston. I also confirmed the 250 cylinder is not large enough to accept the sleeve.
I use my TR re-jetted stock carb. It also has a HMF slip on for KLX250s which also works well on the 340.
The bike has a lot more low end torque, goes much faster, enables nice wheelies, and really adds to the fun.
I'm sure that all the providers of motor upgrade kits to the KLX250s offer excellent products.
I guess if you go the sleeve route, a 300 cylinder will have to be provided.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is the response from Marvin at Kustom Kraft.

Sleeving and Nikasil are usually about the same price.

The advantage of a sleeve is that it is borable for future oversize pistons.

The advantage of Nikasil is that it doesn’t wear out unless abused and has optimum heat transfer with less friction.
Thanks,
Marvin

Old 09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Most of the big bore kits I have installed have been on the 250 cylinder.
I havebored (1) 300 cylinder to 330.
I am boring two 250 cylinders at this time to install (1) 330 kit & (1) 300 kit.
The only thing with using the 250 cylinder is there is .549 of material tobore out so the 330 sleeve can be installed most shops don't want toremove that much material thats why they want to use the 300 cylinder.

Quick Reply: Thumper Racing 340cc upgrade costs and options?