Thumper Racing 340 kit with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thumper Racing 340 kit with pics

Tremor.

The grind was very close to the 101 they built for Larry Roeseler. If you'd like to email me directly I'll check the exact grind when I get home and let you know. I'm in Arkansas until Saturday night. (bill_dragoo@hotmail.com)
It's a bit milder than their best performer, but still race worthy for enduro or cross country work. I should mention that it's very "streetable."The engineidles perfectly at 1000 rpm (largely thanks to Mr. Blue of course). Yet the "hit" happens just above idle. It builds so smoothly that there is no particular place you feel it "come on the cams." It just keeps on going faster.

Oh. Sorry 'bout double posting. I just wanted to get the news out.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice! That sounds very similar to the Yohimura cams Marty just finished installing on his sleeved 331.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:42 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: toomuchdust

Also as far as I know, all barrels have a steel sleeve that's either plated or not, aluminum is used in cheap brush-gutters or chain saw motors. .
No, they have a pressed in steel liner that is not plated or they plate directly on the aluminum with no liner. Aluminum is lighter than steel, conducts heat better & the plating is longer wearing than the plain steel.The only knock against plating is there is no over boring without replating like you can a steel liner to freshen up the top end. The plating is the more "high tech" option & is the way to go for the ultimate in performance--but like you said, on the KLX its six dozen one; half dozen the other. You wont hop from otherwise identical KLXs & say "man that coating makes a huge difference." They have been sleeving bikes since the stone age & when done correctly is no less reliable than anything but with ANY shrink fit there is stress in the part--even as it just sitting on your work bench & it has to be done correctly.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

Also as far as I know, all barrels have a steel sleeve that's either plated or not, aluminum is used in cheap brush-gutters or chain saw motors. .
No, they have a pressed in steel liner that is not plated or they plate directly on the aluminum with no liner. Aluminum is lighter than steel, conducts heat better & the plating is longer wearing than the plain steel.The only knock against plating is there is no over boring without replating like you can a steel liner to freshen up the top end. The plating is the more "high tech" option & is the way to go for the ultimate in performance--but like you said, on the KLX its six dozen one; half dozen the other. You wont hop from otherwise identical KLXs & say "man that coating makes a huge difference." They have been sleeving bikes since the stone age & when done correctly is no less reliable than anything but with ANY shrink fit there is stress in the part--even as it just sitting on your work bench & it has to be done correctly.
I was wondering when you would weigh-in on the subject. I was pretty sure you had set me straight on the plated alumin vs non plated sleeve earlier. The part about stress and the shrink fit makes a lot of sense. Good to know that are no major issues if done properly.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:16 AM

I learn each and every day, thanks KLXer. I must admit there still looks like a steel band when you look at the top of a std coated barrel. Also like I said, if you could sleeve the std barrel to either a 331 or 340 it should come in at around $380-420 USD with piston/gaskets etc, skip the purchase of 300 barrel, also if it were say 331, then next time it gets tire, you will only need a bore and hone. I think that I will try to see if I can do this to an old std barrel. MUSTANG could change the way we think in terms of big-bore kits for none-high-rev engines. Thanks again

Old 03-24-2007, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I must admit there still looks like a steel band when you look at the top of a std coated barrel.

Marty made the same comment after looking at Nobrake's 331 pictures. I wonder why it looks that way. Any ideas, KLXer?

Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 AM

So others have noticed what looks like some form of extra type liner between the cast aluminum and the bore !!. I trust what KLXer says about this, but - 1) having an aluminum sleeve even if coated (some chain saw bores are in chrome, to prolong their life as it's very hard ) but still to my way of thinking would not be strong enough in the side wall warp- blowout - stretch ( can't for the life of me find the word here that I need ) with the awesome compressions like at 13.5/1, like say our new 450 KTM owner ( to remain nameless in this kawasaki forum ) 2) If the sides of the sleeve did blow out a bit, then there would be no alternative but to purchase a new barrel from the maker, maybe this is what it is all about, sales, not practicality. If Kawasaki read this forum they would be pleased with the amount of after-market sales they make from us KLX250s owners, we are all helping this industry stay afloat for sure. Now will find the national anthem of the Kawasaki Factory and sing it, as I feel like a part owner of the firm, I'm going to butcher an old barrel, just to see for myself.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to butcher an old barrel, just to see for myself.
Cool! Anything with the word 'butcher' in it sounds like a fun project!

'Ooh say are you green' Err, never mind.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

So others have noticed what looks like some form of extra type liner between the cast aluminum and the bore !!. I trust what KLXer says about this, but - 1) having an aluminum sleeve even if coated (some chain saw bores are in chrome, to prolong their life as it's very hard ) but still to my way of thinking would not be strong enough in the side wall warp- blowout - stretch ( can't for the life of me find the word here that I need ) with the awesome compressions like at 13.5/1, like say our new 450 KTM owner ( to remain nameless in this kawasaki forum ) 2) If the sides of the sleeve did blow out a bit, then there would be no alternative but to purchase a new barrel from the maker, maybe this is what it is all about, sales, not practicality. If Kawasaki read this forum they would be pleased with the amount of after-market sales they make from us KLX250s owners, we are all helping this industry stay afloat for sure. Now will find the national anthem of the Kawasaki Factory and sing it, as I feel like a part owner of the firm, I'm going to butcher an old barrel, just to see for myself.

Go for it... Long term use will tell. Hope you wind up enjoying this bike!
[sm=signs003.gif]