For those who want a new seat on their KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default For those who want a new seat on their KLX250

Hey guys, I have a 2009 KLX250SF. After commuting on the bike for a couple of weeks, I did some research on a new seat because the stock one isn't really the most comfortable seat. I ended up finding seatconcepts.com had a seat for my bike for a reasonable price and had good reviews. I ended up ordering the seat and just got it yesterday and figured I would share with you guys the procedure and what not.
So basically you unbolt the seat from the bike, take all the staples out from the seat cover. Then after the cover is off, peel the stock foam off the seat pan. Afterwards you just glue the new seat foam to the pan and staple the new cover on.
I haven't finished the new seat yet due to not being able to bring home a shop tool, but I do have a couple pictures of what I have so far.
Tomorrow while I am at work I plan on finishing it. The seat concepts worker I talked to recommended a general adhesive that sticks to plastic to glue the seat in. I happen to have some adhesive at work that requires a special tool so that is why I won't be finishing it until tomorrow. 1/4 inch staples are recommended to staple the new cover in also.

Here is a picture of the old seat unbolted with the hand strap off.

Here is a picture of the new foam on top and the old foam on bottom. The new foam is much softer than the old foam.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I didn't glue mine - I just used some double sided carpet tape. Didn't have glue on hand at the time, but did have the tape.

Call me a rebel.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM

Put this on mine a few weeks back, makes a world of difference when you have some miles to cover on tar.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's mine on my KLX and KLR. The KLX is older. You can see he changed the vinyl to more of a satin instead of shiny like on the KLX. I sent the KLX seat to him because I wanted a custom job and wanted the dip built up some. Happy with both. Probably not at good as a sargent, but I like the price much better.

Name:  011-10.jpg
Views: 3500
Size:  143.7 KB

Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Finished up the new seat today.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's how to get those creases out. You probably set it on a table and pushed down which flattens out the seat. The front that curves up, set it over the edge of your table so just the middle and rear is touching the table. Then restretch it and the creases will be gone.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried that and they didn't go away, the cover had those creases before I even put it on. I think since I got the grip top it is made like that.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

You must of started in the front and worked back?
If you want them to go away, start from the back and work to the front. If you're OK with the wrinkles, then don't worry about it.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got mine back from Seat Concepts on Wednesday. I had them do the installation of the carbon fiber material over the foam. My seat has the four indentations just like you see in above photo. I do not have any other wrinkle on side or elsewhere. If in doubt as to how it should look or for guidance I'd give em a call or email. I found them to be very helpful when I was deciding and had questions. BTW: Love it!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
You must of started in the front and worked back?
If you want them to go away, start from the back and work to the front. If you're OK with the wrinkles, then don't worry about it.
You have to start at the front since the front of the cover has a "pocket" that slips over the nose of the seat pan and foam.

Quick Reply: For those who want a new seat on their KLX250