Thinking of selling the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thinking of selling the KLX

Ok ok.... the end I suppose everyone is right. What I'm mad at is the carb, the rest of the bike is exactly for the most part what I was intending to buy. I did'nt need an MX bike which is in reality why I did'nt fork over the last few thousand bucks to get something like a KTM, Husky, GasGas or Aprillia. What I needed was a solid trail bike that would allow me to run with my other enduro friends.

The sportbike I'm running right now is a 2005 ZX-6R that I bought new when fresh from Iraq. Its a street and track toy so I run it pretty brutally and they do need a pretty chunk of maintenance once in awhile. In my case though the big issue comes from a rather common problem with the gearbox which is going to force me to take it appart, re-shim and back cut the gears. Should'nt be to much of an issue really but that definitely jumps the maintenance.

Now rebuilding 2-strokes or single cylinder 4-stroke engines has always seemed easy to me. Now I know the first thing that comes into mind at that point is.., why would the carb be an issue then?.., its because we go to so many places in so many altitude and temperature ranges that its rare my bike is running just right whenever we get there... and the carb is annoying to get to enough that rejeting the carb for every situation is going to get insane, versus say... 40-hours of assured riding from a basic 2-stroke rebuild.

If I could touch it once every 40 hours and it would run ok I would be content. When somethings wrong everytime I ride.., I get frustrated.

FCR carbs are expensive enough I don't know that I feel this bike is worth it, I'll wait for some of the feedback from the others. That won't fix the nature of jeting, but those carbs are far more behaved then the CV carbs we're stuck with.

So you all got me... I'll keep the bike. My 3 RL enduro buddies were threatening me with physical violence if I got rid of the bike anyways :: chuckles :: Just have mercy on a poor complainer and wish him best of luck on finding a good fuel management system he can tie on with zip ties .... or a better carb.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Thinking of selling the KLX

Mine does the same crap,, in cold weather it needs a 2 step hotter plug or some either,, take your pick!