Thinking of selling the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Thinking of selling the KLX

Well guys.., went out this early morning ( 43-F, 86% humidity, altitude about 700-feet ) and was going to go ahead and give the KLX a go since I have'nt rode it in awhile, and for the life of me, it just refuses to start in this cold weather. Its geting fuel, its geting spark, timing is fine.., my only guess is I possibly have it jeated to lean to start in this weather, as I originally jeted the bike in 85+ degree summer weather and even then I wondered if it was slightly to lean. It has shown signs of hard starting when it was cold but this is the first time its refused to start in cold weather, and the first time I've tried to run it this low.

In any case.., the bike has:
1,750 or so miles
PIAA headlight bulb
Short stalk LED turn signals with relay on both front and back
Acerbis Pro hand guards ( aluminum bar type )
Renthal handlebars
folding mirrors
full Muzzy exhaust
UNI air filter with the airbox lid off
jetted at 128-main 40-pilot
carburator slide drilled
crankcase vent drilled
Air-injection ( emissions ) system removed and capped off
front fork springs have been moved up to .40's from the stock .36's ( aimed at 140-150 lb rider in heavy trail conditions )
Kenda Trak Master II's with about 90% tread left on front, about 50% on rear.
sythetic blend oil used in it untill 1k miles, full sythetic ever since with filter/oil changed every 2k miles.
and both of Kawasaki's official repair manuals.

There is some minor scratches on the right side fairing and handguard from taking a spill in gravel.

I originally payed about 5,400 or so for the bike after mods. How does 4,000 or best offer sound?.

Reason I'm considering selling is for the simple fact that I just can't stand carburated engines. It would be easy to rejet and tinker with it so it would start in all weather conditions, but I've also had some issues going from my 700-feet or so altitude where its jetted for, and going up as high as 6-7,000 feet. Its to be expected.., but I just went through to many years of my youth fighting carburators and the fact it does'nt want to start in this cold weather seals it for me.
After this bike, I'll never own another carburated engine. I'm far to used to taking something like my sportbike with a power commander and being able to hook the thing up to a computer and make myself a fuel map if I wanted. I just can't live with going back... and a pumper carb is'nt the answer for me, I've worked on many of them and they are still by nature a carb.

The only real option I'm aware of right now is a few fuel-injected dual sports that are made by Gasgas. I don't know if any other manufacturers are making fuel-injected dual sports right now. 1,400 loss off what I've put into it is a mistake that hurts a bit, but I know I"ll just never be truelly happy fighting a carburator indefinitely.

In any case, what do you guys think?. The bike has no other mods done to it. I've not decided for 100% certain wether I'll sell it right now, but I'd say I'm a good 90% certain as I type this, I really don't think I'll be happy with a carb'd engine in the long run.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Thinking of selling the KLX

I'm sure you will get some bites at that price. I looks as though you are thoroughly disgusted with carbs, so I'm not sure there is much I can do to convince you to change your mind...especially since you already have experience working with them. In my case, yes, I would much prefer fuel injection, but budget will not allow me to splurge on the likes of a GasGas, etc.

As far as your current problem goes, have you tried:

1. putting on the air box lid to see if richening-up the mixure is the right train of thought?
2. Checking all of the plugs you used on the emission system to see if they're possibly cracked/leaking ('Help' brand plugs in particular have a high failure rate)?
3. Intake valve clearance. When they tighten-up, the bike gets hard to or won't start.

At least get it to start before selling it. Must be nice to have the extra dinero to plunk down double the price of this bike on a GasGas...all in the name of fuel injection. Seems like eliminating the need to re-jet a carb by buying a bike that is otherwise high maintenance kind of defeats the overall pupose...but to each his own.

ORIGINAL: ReaperFox

Well guys.., went out this early morning ( 43-F, 86% humidity, altitude about 700-feet ) and was going to go ahead and give the KLX a go since I have'nt rode it in awhile, and for the life of me, it just refuses to start in this cold weather. Its geting fuel, its geting spark, timing is fine.., my only guess is I possibly have it jeated to lean to start in this weather, as I originally jeted the bike in 85+ degree summer weather and even then I wondered if it was slightly to lean. It has shown signs of hard starting when it was cold but this is the first time its refused to start in cold weather, and the first time I've tried to run it this low.

In any case.., the bike has:
1,750 or so miles
PIAA headlight bulb
Short stalk LED turn signals with relay on both front and back
Acerbis Pro hand guards ( aluminum bar type )
Renthal handlebars
folding mirrors
full Muzzy exhaust
UNI air filter with the airbox lid off
jetted at 128-main 40-pilot
carburator slide drilled
crankcase vent drilled
Air-injection ( emissions ) system removed and capped off
front fork springs have been moved up to .40's from the stock .36's ( aimed at 140-150 lb rider in heavy trail conditions )
Kenda Trak Master II's with about 90% tread left on front, about 50% on rear.
sythetic blend oil used in it untill 1k miles, full sythetic ever since with filter/oil changed every 2k miles.
and both of Kawasaki's official repair manuals.

There is some minor scratches on the right side fairing and handguard from taking a spill in gravel.

I originally payed about 5,400 or so for the bike after mods. How does 4,000 or best offer sound?.

Reason I'm considering selling is for the simple fact that I just can't stand carburated engines. It would be easy to rejet and tinker with it so it would start in all weather conditions, but I've also had some issues going from my 700-feet or so altitude where its jetted for, and going up as high as 6-7,000 feet. Its to be expected.., but I just went through to many years of my youth fighting carburators and the fact it does'nt want to start in this cold weather seals it for me.
After this bike, I'll never own another carburated engine. I'm far to used to taking something like my sportbike with a power commander and being able to hook the thing up to a computer and make myself a fuel map if I wanted. I just can't live with going back... and a pumper carb is'nt the answer for me, I've worked on many of them and they are still by nature a carb.

The only real option I'm aware of right now is a few fuel-injected dual sports that are made by Gasgas. I don't know if any other manufacturers are making fuel-injected dual sports right now. 1,400 loss off what I've put into it is a mistake that hurts a bit, but I know I"ll just never be truelly happy fighting a carburator indefinitely.

In any case, what do you guys think?. The bike has no other mods done to it. I've not decided for 100% certain wether I'll sell it right now, but I'd say I'm a good 90% certain as I type this, I really don't think I'll be happy with a carb'd engine in the long run.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm just frustrated with the picky behavior of carbs. I'm by no means rich, just a bachelor so its easy for me to afford some toys. That and I spent some time in Iraq as a civilian contractor which makes wonderfull money... something I'm considering going back to later on.

I did check the spark plug, I'm geting spark and the plugs in good shape. I did check all my vacume plugs and everythings intact, but yes the HELP brand caps are what I'm using and I've made it a point to check them everytime I ride because they have cracked and failed on me, but I live in a small town and thats all they had in stock both times at the local autoparts store.

The airbox lid I have'nt tried, thats a good idea to give it a quick check and see if thats indeed whats going on with it. Good idea!.

Vale clearences I have'nt checked at all. From what I've seen on the forum they have a high rate of inconsistancy off the factory floor and most threads I've seen claim they have been on the tight side. Thats a possibility, but I would'nt expect it to pretty much completely shut down the bike from starting unless it was way, way off spec, or in combination with other issues... So I'm assuming the valve train is perfectly fine.

The reason I've showed no concern in it starting is I feel positive it will start right up when the day heats up and I was going to go out and try it, due to how much trouble its given me in the low 50-F range before, though I've never tried it as low as this mornings 43-F temp.

I'll go out and give the airbox lid a try for the heck of it, that one is real easy to give a go.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm just frustrated with the picky behavior of carbs. I'm by no means rich, just a bachelor so its easy for me to afford some toys. That and I spent some time in Iraq as a civilian contractor which makes wonderfull money... something I'm considering going back to later on.

I did check the spark plug, I'm geting spark and the plugs in good shape. I did check all my vacume plugs and everythings intact, but yes the HELP brand caps are what I'm using and I've made it a point to check them everytime I ride because they have cracked and failed on me, but I live in a small town and thats all they had in stock both times at the local autoparts store.

The airbox lid I have'nt tried, thats a good idea to give it a quick check and see if thats indeed whats going on with it. Good idea!.

Vale clearences I have'nt checked at all. From what I've seen on the forum they have a high rate of inconsistancy off the factory floor and most threads I've seen claim they have been on the tight side. Thats a possibility, but I would'nt expect it to pretty much completely shut down the bike from starting unless it was way, way off spec, or in combination with other issues... So I'm assuming the valve train is perfectly fine.

The reason I've showed no concern in it starting is I feel positive it will start right up when the day heats up and I was going to go out and try it, due to how much trouble its given me in the low 50-F range before, though I've never tried it as low as this mornings 43-F temp.

I'll go out and give the airbox lid a try for the heck of it, that one is real easy to give a go.
Wow, contactor in Iraq is definitely good money. You must have had a fairly good situation, security-wise. The only reason I mention the intake valves is because KLX300 riders have had them tighten to the point where the engine won't start. Probably not likely in your case, but I figured I would mention it. Seems like your pilot jet is the right size. I'm wondering if taking the needle out one clip or possibly opening the fuel screw abit more would do the trick...but there we go down that carb road again! [8D]

Good luck! I plan on adding an after market pipe and playing with the airbox and jetting this winter, so I'm sure that will be something that will require enduring some frustration with dialing in the carb[:'(]

Old 10-14-2006, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

You said you hadn't ridden in a while. Drain the float bowl and try to start it again. My bike sat for 10 days while on vacation and it was around 50 degrees and it just wouldn't start, about 5 minutes of trying it finally fired up. I didn't try draining the carb though, I only found out about that later. I did find though that when I turned my fuel screw in an 8th of a turn and removed my snorkel (was running a tad rich) it does need the choke on a bit longer to stay running but, once warm it runs much better. So long story short I'd try putting the cover on and draining the float bowl.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Well... I'll give it some more playing and get it running but man... I'm just spoiled rotten with fuel-injection and I do miss the MX so the immidiate hassle makes it real, real easy to want to say to heck with the KLX and go after a GasGas.

I'm used to the high maintenance of sport bikes and MX bikes, I just want my bike to start when I expect it to. :: chuckles ::

If I go that route, I'm plenty happy dealing with the internal maintenance of a gasgas for the higher performance and the lack of carb issues.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Well... I'll give it some more playing and get it running but man... I'm just spoiled rotten with fuel-injection and I do miss the MX so the immidiate hassle makes it real, real easy to want to say to heck with the KLX and go after a GasGas.

I'm used to the high maintenance of sport bikes and MX bikes, I just want my bike to start when I expect it to. :: chuckles ::

If I go that route, I'm plenty happy dealing with the internal maintenance of a gasgas for the higher performance and the lack of carb issues.
Oh yeah! If I had the extra money and time to pull my own maintenance, I would definitely own the GasGas 450 four stroke Super Motard version (forgot the exact model number). Having a bike with nearly twice the displacement of the KLX250 , but same dry weight -not to mention the superior suspension they equip those beasts with- would be an absolute blast to ride....

Old 10-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'd love to have fuel injection on my KLX. I believe that is the shape of things to come, though. Many manufacturers are experimenting with it and some say as early as 2008 we'll see fuel inject MX bikes become fairly common or at least more available. It shouldn't be too long after that they start showing up in generall off-road and dual sport.

As far as cold starting, I've never had to start my KLX cold as I live in the fairly mild NC climate now, but when I was younger and lived in the mountains of WV where we'd see sub-zero for weeks at a time in the winter, we'd spray a little ether into the air intake and she'd fire right up even on the coldest of mornings.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I believe a number of people have reported hard starting after the bike sits for any length of time, regardless of the weather.
I've left my bike sitting for one week in average temps and it took 10 or 15 seconds to finally fire up... Once I left it for 2 weeks and it took over 20 seconds of cranking and fiddling with choke/throttle to fire it up...
I'm attributing it to high ethanol content in gasoline gumming up the carb rather quickly (possibly)...

Old 10-15-2006, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Well when I was trying to start it at that 43-F weather I actually pretty much ran the battery dead from a full charge over several 15-30 second attempts.

Went out today at 63-F and just like I said, started right up on the 2nd turn-over without a hesitation, used the choke for 2-3 seconds then shut it off and it idles just fine as if the world is a perfect place.

My bike just does /not/ like cold temps or high altitude at all. I'll just have to experiment with the jeting to get it running better as long as I have it. In the mean time I'm still going to consider selling it and keep a close eye on some of those fuel-injected bikes. Its true its alot of money.., but... [:@]

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling the KLX