thinking of getting a klx250 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default thinking of getting a klx250 1 ?

Just wondering if you guys feel you have enough power out of this machine? The 650 is to big for what I want and i am worried the 350 is to small. Any input would be great thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: thinking of getting a klx250 1 ?

I had a toss up between the DRZ 400 and the klx 250s I'm glad I went Green!!! I'm 6' and 150lbs I find it's o.k. on the power scale but no monster with out mods the best I've don to it was to chaing the front sprocket to 13. Do your research I'm in Love wih it

Old 04-18-2007, 03:09 AM

I did some mods, thought the power was pretty good. For pretty much any trails or exploring I did, it was awesome. When I wanted to ride hard and fast, I beat it over the head... I think a gearing change would have helped, so I could bounce around between 2 gears instead of redline one and fall out of the the power in the next.

Depends on what you are looking for, mostly.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

thanx for the quick response!
i will ride it to work on nice days and want to trail ride and get to backwoods fishing spots i dont need a power monster just dont want it to always feel doggy and want to be able to dart around in traffic when needed. i figure i can gain some witha good pipe and filter/intake if they are available.

any other thoughts?

Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Everytime I hear that this bike is under powered and "not a beast", I find myself just not having the same thoughts........................
Now I know It's because this is the first bike I've been on in 20 years, butit's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can go up hills fine, Iride down hills fine, I go through sand, dirt and mud fine, I canride withaDRZ 400 in the trails just fine. It is only lacking when we are on a straight away or on the road, other than that I keep up/lead just fine.
It islighter than the 400 and looks so much meaner.....................
For me, this bike is perfect.
I just added the 45T sprocket and some new Trakmaster tires and let me tell you that I am 100% happy with the performance.
I am 5'8"165 lbs and the bike pulls me around in the trails just fine.
So, if you are an average rider who isn't currently doing a Supercross Circuit and doesn't need to rip through the woods at blazing bursts of speed, this bike is perfect........................
You would be hard pressed to find a better forum packed with a nicer and more informed bunch of people than right here. So, if the people are any indication as to who ownswhat type of bike, than I am very happy toown a KLX 250S!!!!!

Now, I know many if not all would love for this bike to not be so plugged up, but it's great for what it is and I have never once regreted my purchase............I still just open the garage door and peek in for a fast look when I haven't rode in a while.

Dave

Old 04-18-2007, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

cool its good to hear i have been trying to research all the options and for performance, $, and size the klx250 seems to be a winner, plus after having such good luck with my kawasaki prairie i feel very confident buying another one of their products!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: mikeypmcg

thanx for the quick response!
i will ride it to work on nice days and want to trail ride and get to backwoods fishing spots i dont need a power monster just dont want it to always feel doggy and want to be able to dart around in traffic when needed. i figure i can gain some witha good pipe and filter/intake if they are available.

any other thoughts?
Sweet, the KLX will mod up right to your level of expectations.

Too bad I wasn't closer, I'd sell you mine

Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: double d6

Everytime I hear that this bike is under powered and "not a beast", I find myself just not having the same thoughts........................
Now I know It's because this is the first bike I've been on in 20 years, butit's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can go up hills fine, Iride down hills fine, I go through sand, dirt and mud fine, I canride withaDRZ 400 in the trails just fine. It is only lacking when we are on a straight away or on the road, other than that I keep up/lead just fine.
It islighter than the 400 and looks so much meaner.....................
For me, this bike is perfect.
I just added the 45T sprocket and some new Trakmaster tires and let me tell you that I am 100% happy with the performance.
I am 5'8"165 lbs and the bike pulls me around in the trails just fine.
So, if you are an average rider who isn't currently doing a Supercross Circuit and doesn't need to rip through the woods at blazing bursts of speed, this bike is perfect........................
You would be hard pressed to find a better forum packed with a nicer and more informed bunch of people than right here. So, if the people are any indication as to who ownswhat type of bike, than I am very happy toown a KLX 250S!!!!!

Now, I know many if not all would love for this bike to not be so plugged up, but it's great for what it is and I have never once regreted my purchase............I still just open the garage door and peek in for a fast look when I haven't rode in a while.

Dave
Dave, I'm with you on this. I'm sure that there will be a day that someone on a bigger bike runs off and leaves me in the dust while riding trails. But, so far, it just hasn't happened! It is not a highway cruiser, and I would hope that nobody buys it for that. I have done several mods and maybe that is an issue that most don't think that you should have to do to a new bike. But I have yet to see the guy that buys a bike and then doesn't in some way taylor it to himself.
I, like you, have absolutely no regrets about my purchase.
I probably should stop here but it occurs to me that this arguement is similar to the one that my son has been using for the last few weeks. He wants to get rid of his RMZ250 and move up to a CRF450, because the 250 doesn't have enough "power". The logic that I use here is that when he races there are several 250's up in front of him that are kicking his a_s. Their bikes are no more powerful that his ..... they are obviously better riders! When he masters the 250 and rides it to it's full capability then we'll talk about a 450.
The deal with the KLX is that a lot of the people here ride them more on the street than on the trails. This is evidenced by the amount of miles that alot of guys have on them. I would agree that the KLX is lacking on the street. But for me, it is just what I want. After the mods that I have done to it, it suits me just fine![8D]

Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot

I probably should stop here but it occurs to me that this arguement is similar to the one that my son has been using for the last few weeks. He wants to get rid of his RMZ250 and move up to a CRF450, because the 250 doesn't have enough "power". The logic that I use here is that when he races there are several 250's up in front of him that are kicking his a_s. Their bikes are no more powerful that his ..... they are obviously better riders! When he masters the 250 and rides it to it's full capability then we'll talk about a 450.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! I agree completely! The only thing is that everyone & their brother willswear toyou they can ride the wheels off a 250 or wheelie it or this or that & will even get pissy about it, but the trutth is they can't.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vfrpilot
I would agree that the KLX is lacking on the street. But for me, it is just what I want. After the mods that I have done to it, it suits me just fine![8D]
I've had mine up to 86 mph stock engine, carb and exhaust, personally I think thats fast enough on a trail bike

Quick Reply: thinking of getting a klx250 1 ?