Thinking extra gas.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Hm, why is that? Due to size/room under the tank? The tank is the same on the bottom "I Think", but not 100% sure. From what I've read, the IMS is just wider and higher. I can't say for sure cuz my bike already had this tank on it when I bought it. It was a black tank which I sold and replaced with the natural white so I can see the fuel level. I'd like to know for sure about the fit of the pumper carb. I do plan to go BB 351 with pumper next Winter. I really love this tank and hate to part with it. I think Clarke makes 2 different sizes of bigger tanks for the KLX. Have you checked those out? Unless your not looking at tanks. I just don't like adding weight on the rear like that, due to major leverage back there on my tuned suspension. That's a lot of extra weight in the wrong spot in my opinion. But that's just me. Let me know what you find out if anything.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Hm, why is that? Due to size/room under the tank? The tank is the same on the bottom "I Think", but not 100% sure. From what I've read, the IMS is just wider and higher. I can't say for sure cuz my bike already had this tank on it when I bought it. It was a black tank which I sold and replaced with the natural white so I can see the fuel level. I'd like to know for sure about the fit of the pumper carb. I do plan to go BB 351 with pumper next Winter. I really love this tank and hate to part with it. I think Clarke makes 2 different sizes of bigger tanks for the KLX. Have you checked those out? Unless your not looking at tanks. I just don't like adding weight on the rear like that, due to major leverage back there on my tuned suspension. That's a lot of extra weight in the wrong spot in my opinion. But that's just me. Let me know what you find out if anything.
You have to modify the throttle actuator on the pumper carb. You need to cut off the top part of the actuator wheel to clear the fuel tank. Then you only use the pull throttle cable for throttle operation. Once you make this modification everything fits fine.

Mikuni TM 36-68 Pumper Carb

Doug

Old 02-13-2016, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default PMR XL rack

See the 1/15/16 post for a picture of the PMR XL rack with Rotopax and gear:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...21590/page202/

Old 02-13-2016, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
You have to modify the throttle actuator on the pumper carb. You need to cut off the top part of the actuator wheel to clear the fuel tank. Then you only use the pull throttle cable for throttle operation. Once you make this modification everything fits fine.

Mikuni TM 36-68 Pumper Carb

Doug
Ok, got it. Thanks Doug....

Old 02-13-2016, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KawaBiker
See the 1/15/16 post for a picture of the PMR XL rack with Rotopax and gear:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...21590/page202/
Thanks! Looks like the XL PM rack fits the pack better... Any worries about the sub frame with the extra weight on the tail?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Dash, there's a boat load, maybe a ship load about this on the ADVrider forum. Many pages about this a few weeks ago.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

The subframe maybe a problem if you're hitting the whoops on a regular basis or jumping.
But if you are just riding along, it'll be fine.
I routinely carry a 5 gallon can strapped in my pelican box and a 20lb bag of dog food in a pannier(which hangs all the weight on the tail) at the same time.
If you are really worried just make sure you empty the gas can asap during the ride.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Dash, there's a boat load, maybe a ship load about this on the ADVrider forum. Many pages about this a few weeks ago.
Thanks, I'll sign up the rest!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The subframe maybe a problem if you're hitting the whoops on a regular basis or jumping.
But if you are just riding along, it'll be fine.
I routinely carry a 5 gallon can strapped in my pelican box and a 20lb bag of dog food in a pannier(which hangs all the weight on the tail) at the same time.
If you are really worried just make sure you empty the gas can asap during the ride.
Perfect, thanks! Rotopak shouldn't be a problems then....

Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Dash, This is "about" (give or take a few pages) where they start talking about it. It's almost 700 pages all about the KLX250. A good long *** thread to go back and read on a rainy day. Tons of info.

Long term KLX250S review | Page 653 | Adventure Rider

Last edited by Werloc; 02-14-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking extra gas.......