Thinking about getting a KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The CBR is a great bike.
So is the KLX.
Both completely different.
For around town, I'd pick the KLX every time. It get's great mileage, can take getting knocked over by idiots trying to park, and is light and nimble to negotiate traffic. And like a truck, you will sit up higher and see better through traffic.
For highway riding, I'd pick the CBR.
Therefore, I'd spend $6600 and get them both.
Or get the KLX and deal with less than stellar highway performance.
PS - I did ride mine 2400 miles on the slab not too long ago. Speed limits were 70 and the bike did just fine.
I'd get he KLX if I knew that I'd be comfortable on the highway 1-2 times a month. I'm not meaning like a Cadillac but just comfortable where I don't hate it.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Talk about comparing apples to oranges. Two completely different bikes. I've had both and love my KLX but would also like to buy a bigger street bike for longer rides.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tuleyz
I'd get he KLX if I knew that I'd be comfortable on the highway 1-2 times a month. I'm not meaning like a Cadillac but just comfortable where I don't hate it.
I'm just as comfortable, if not more, with my KLX 250s on the highway than I am with it on the dirt, I've certainly put a lot more highway miles on it since I got it that's for sure. It may not the best at either, but it does both well enough for me to enjoy both.
If the weather is good I'd rather be riding the KLX on the highway than the car.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
I'm just as comfortable, if not more, with my KLX 250s on the highway than I am with it on the dirt, I've certainly put a lot more highway miles on it since I got it that's for sure. It may not the best at either, but it does both well enough for me to enjoy both.
If the weather is good I'd rather be riding the KLX on the highway than the car.
I cruise around 65mph all the time with no issue at all

Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had sport bikes, and I always hated riding in 35 mph traffic with them. they aren't comfortable at those speeds, and spending the whole ride in 1st or 2nd gear is a stinker, too.
if you're worried about the power of a klx, have you thought about something like a DRZ400? maybe even get two sets of wheels for it, and you're covered for whatever/wherever and you have plenty of power for what it sounds like you want to do.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rooster
I've had sport bikes, and I always hated riding in 35 mph traffic with them. they aren't comfortable at those speeds, and spending the whole ride in 1st or 2nd gear is a stinker, too.
if you're worried about the power of a klx, have you thought about something like a DRZ400? maybe even get two sets of wheels for it, and you're covered for whatever/wherever and you have plenty of power for what it sounds like you want to do.
I've thought about it but I know very little about them. They are solid for street/highway too?

Old 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been using my KLX for riding back and forth to work (about 30 miles of highway), and have found the stock power to be totally adequate. I certainly can't complain about the gas mileage either. I was topping the tank up every day to see exactly what the commute was costing me and how much gas I was using. Then I started playing with it a bit to see how much I could increase my efficiency by tucking in and riding more conservatively. After I got home I did the math, or rather, I found a web site that does the math for you, and found that I could boost my mileage from 60 mpg to 73 mpg, mostly just by keeping my head down and arms and legs tucked in. Saves me around 75 cents per trip.
We recently bought my wife a proper fitting helmet and yesterday she rode with me into town on the same commute. Even with her on the back I had no problem keeping up with, and passing, all the traffic on the highway, in fact I hardly noticed her at all on while accelerating or climbing hills, although I did purposely slow down a bit on the corners for her.
The fastest posted speed limit along this route is 100 kph, which works out to about 62 mph. I have no problem exceeding that on the KLX. In fact I have no problem exceeding the maximum speed limit in Canada of 110 kph. So the only thing I might need more power for is faster acceleration, and climbing hills. Chasing the more power and faster acceleration curve is not something I'm personally interested in, there will always be something out there with more powerful and faster. The stock KLX's power is adequate and has all I need for what I want to do with it, that's why I bought it.
I think if I was forced to make a complaint against the KLX for highway riding it would be it's lack of windshield. I've taken off to work a couple crisp mornings where a windshield might have helped keep me a little warmer, but it was my hands that got the coldest, and I can't say a windshield would have done anything for them. I imagine if you were to get a motorcycle for doing a lot of highway riding, you'd be well advised to get one with a windshield.

Last edited by Mucky_Waters; 05-27-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

One of the best things about the klx is the losers here on the forum

I came from a Gsxr750 to the Klx. Totally different tools in the woodshed. I miss the effortless passing and freeway jaunts. The klx is a blast offroad and super twisty roads.

My 2007 stock bike struggles with anything over 60mph gps indicated on slight inclines. I'm 6ft and 185lbs. You guys that have no problems, what do you weigh? I just rode 300 miles on secondary roads today. I had to wring everything she could muster to pass farmer joes and sight seeing harleys.

For 35mph runs in the city, this maybe the perfect bike.

Last edited by drm; 05-27-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 AM

how about supermoto bikes? anyone have experience with those on short highway trips?

Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
One of the best things about the klx is the losers here on the forum

My 2007 srock bike struggles with anything over 60mph gps indicated on slight inclines. I'm 6ft and 185lbs. You guys that have no problems, what do you weigh? I just rode 300 miles on secondary roads today. I had to wring everything she could muster to pass farmer joes and sight seeing harleys.
You obviously need a tune up,,,,
Your srock bike too.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a KLX250S