Thinking about getting a KLX250S

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM
Default Thinking about getting a KLX250S

I currently do not own a bike. I owned a 2006 CBR600RR for around 2 years and I owned a Suzuki DR650 dual sport bike for around a year. With That being said, I am deciding between two bikes that I want to buy.
2003 CBR600RR 15,000 miles $2900
2012 KLX250S 2500 miles $3700

I know this is a KAWASAKI forum and I may get some biased opinions but I am looking for some advice on what to get. I want the bike for fun of course, but I also plan on using it to go to work and cruise around town to get places when its nice out. Off road isn't really important, but if I had an off road bike I'm sure I'd take advantage of it when I could. I also plan to take the bike on the highway once in a while. It would consist of 40 miles each way couple times a month and possibly 100 mile trips once every month or every other month. 75% of the riding will occur in the city at 35 mph.

I want the bike to be fun and get good gas mileage. They both get better mileage than my truck so they both are fine there. I'm on the fence on which bike to get. I like the idea of a very efficient dirt bike that's light and easy to take ANYWHERE. BUT I want to have enough power to keep me satisfied and cruise on my occasional highway trips. Am I going to miss the power of my 600rr or have I outgrown that? I loved riding the 600rr, but do I need it for what I want? Will the lightweight dual sport keep me satisfied? Something about having a dual sport seems fun, as long as I don't get bored. I think I've included everything I want the bike for. I know that only I can answer some of these questions, but just looking for input.

On a side note, the thing that scares me about a 650 dual sport is they are so tall and heavy seems like i might as well get a street bike?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you think the 650 d/s had enough power to keep you satisfied? If not then hell no you won't llike the klx250s. If you were happy with the power of the dr650, cut that power in half, are you still happy? We are

Old 05-24-2013, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally, I think you will miss the power of the CBR. I have a Valkyrie to give me my fix and also love trail and gravel travel so both bikes are the way to go for me. However after saying that I just completed a 2 day FAST Racing School course on a GSXR 600 which brought back fond memories of my ZX7 Ninja. There may be a track bike in my future, just have to buy a house with a bigger garage...

Must say the KLX is pretty gutless stock on the street but quite acceptable and entertaining off road, not too top heavy like a 650. Therefore if your intention is to use it strictly on the street, I would stick with a street bike. Try it off road, you'll probably love it! Hope this helps, good luck!

Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

1 year with my KLX250SF - ADVrider

Good report on the SF (Motard) from or good friends at ADV. Rider had a Busa so he knows something about power!

As Rocka says, we are quite happy with the power!

Old 05-24-2013, 04:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Wow!...a KLX250 or a CBR600RR. I don't know...I don't think you can do any comparison whatsoever between these two bikes. They are so different and intended for such different applications that it's just not realistic to compare them. I'd make a more serious effort to consider how I'm going to use the motorcycle before making any decision like this. If you're not really interested in riding on some real dirt, forget the KLX and get the Honda. Highway jaunts for even fairly small distances really suck IMO on the KLX. No one bike can do it all no matter what marketing gurus claim. I get the feeling that you may be happier with the Honda sportbike in this case.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to have to agree with TNC..You sound like your a sport bike rider.

I own a 92 GSXR 1100, 03 GSXR1000, and a 07 KLX250s...The KLX does not have a ton of Giddy up and go on the street. It's got decent acceleration and it's fun to ride. But it's nothing compared to a 650 or even the CBR600RR supersport.

If your not interested in dirt, then you'd really enjoy the CBR600RR no question in my mind. If you plan to cruise in the city and do 100 mile trips your going to get bored quickly on the KLX250s and you'd go insane driving 100 miles on it...Bikes struggle to break 70 MPH on flat ground..lol Even mine with upgraded carbs, sprockets, ect still hits about 100KPH and I feel like she wants to give up..lol

Get the CBR600RR..

Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry but I don't get people that are contemplating two completely different bikes.
Seems like you need to research more and find out what you really want.

Or

Get Both!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Suzuki DR650 - road bike, that can do some off-road.

Kawasaki KLX250S - off-road bike, that can do some roads.

If you're *not* planning to do any off-road riding, the KLX is not the bike for you. I didn't even register my KLX for road use this year... it's registered as an OHV. That's where the KLX is most at home, and the most fun to ride!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The CBR is a great bike.
So is the KLX.
Both completely different.
For around town, I'd pick the KLX every time. It get's great mileage, can take getting knocked over by idiots trying to park, and is light and nimble to negotiate traffic. And like a truck, you will sit up higher and see better through traffic.
For highway riding, I'd pick the CBR.
Therefore, I'd spend $6600 and get them both.
Or get the KLX and deal with less than stellar highway performance.
PS - I did ride mine 2400 miles on the slab not too long ago. Speed limits were 70 and the bike did just fine.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
The CBR is a great bike.
So is the KLX.
Both completely different.
For around town, I'd pick the KLX every time. It get's great mileage, can take getting knocked over by idiots trying to park, and is light and nimble to negotiate traffic. And like a truck, you will sit up higher and see better through traffic.
For highway riding, I'd pick the CBR.
Therefore, I'd spend $6600 and get them both.
Or get the KLX and deal with less than stellar highway performance.
PS - I did ride mine 2400 miles on the slab not too long ago. Speed limits were 70 and the bike did just fine.
Getting two good bikes like these for about $6K may be the best advice.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting a KLX250S