things you carry when you ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default things you carry when you ride

I'm just starting to ride myklx I purchased a few weeks ago.The roads are alreadygetting a little boring so I'm looking forward to hitting up some trails. What are some things I should carry along with me in the backpack? I'm new to the dualsport scene so I definately wanted to get started on the right foot. I know you can't carry everything but I would like to be prepared as possible.

I normally carry a flashlight, zip ties, basic tools, some rope, a knife, tape, a spark plug,compass, and mycell phone.

I'm thinking of getting a msr fuel bottle as an emergency back up as well.

What do you guys normally carry along with you on a ride?

Old 07-08-2008, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: things you carry when you ride

A pull-along or winch, very nice to have if you find yourself between two hills and stuck in a muddy creek (Wish I had mine with me at that time). Rope, flashlight, first aid kit, tools, andwater (plenty of). A good trail buddy, cellphone, extra tubes and tire irons are some the other extra things to have.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

drop the flashlight and sparkplug. you almost never need either. i always have spoons and a spare tube. don't bother with those if you can't change a tire though. fix-a-flat will work as long as you haven't torn the vavle stem. by the way loosen that nutup some. water is the most important thing you can have out in the woods. if you don't have a camelback then go get one.have the correct off road riding gear too. you'llbreak more often than the bike without it. take a good digger an you'll see what i mean.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Atleast 1 extra pack of cigs
1 charged cell phone
Credit/debit card
Some cash
Lighter
AAA...and a tow shop that can get bikes ahead of time...

Everything else for me on or off road is just a call away....Oh need good buddies...Without them the day could get bad...

Old 07-08-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: f1rocco

Atleast 1 extra pack of cigs
1 charged cell phone
Credit/debit card
Some cash
Lighter
AAA...and a tow shop that can get bikes ahead of time...

Everything else for me on or off road is just a call away....Oh need good buddies...Without them the day could get bad...

Agreed.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I got 4 of the MSR bottles, camel back, tools, flashlight, extra battery for the phone and the camera, toilet paper, extra master link, rope, knife, etcetera, etcetera. I take different things for different rides, but always extra gas, I'm not getting stuck 80 miles out in the woods.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

All this.
Name:  PICT0022.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  65.5 KB

Plus, phone, camera, 2 liters of water in the camel back and 3 energy bars.

mmm looking at that photo, I have never used some of that stuff.
Might have to reconsider.
Then again, Murphy's law suggests that what I leave out , I will need on my next ride.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Water (camelback is a no brainer), spark plug wrench (doubles as a phillips and standard screw driver), spark plug, master link, needle nose to get the new link on. If you grind down one end of the needle nose so it's a bit shorter than the other it works well. It's not that your master link will break necessarily, one of the others may. Tube with small tire irons from motion pro. Although, I've ridden miles on a flat before, albeit in the sand though. Rope, so your buddy can tow you home...pushing sucks! Oh, and a buddy because you should never go riding alone. I'm not sure a cell phone's going to get me much where I ride, so I don't bother. Since you guys love pics so much, I'll have my wife carry a camera now too. Some kind of trail mix or an energy bar. I've carried extra clutch cable too, when mine is starting to age. Small swiss army knife, just because it seems like something good to have.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

am i the only one that goes into the woods with just the water in my camel back?

+1 on the good buddies to call for help.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I carry camel bak, a spare tube, some light alloy tire levers, and a few basic tools for trailside repairs. I've used the tools several times and had I not had them, my day would not have been as enjoyable.

Quick Reply: things you carry when you ride