Tensioner became loose while riding.. Oops :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I spoke with the OP. The bike was actually still running according to him. It came loose, but apparently not enough to change timing from what we talked about. I didn't have to send any new fasteners so I take it they never fell out. That means it probably had about the same amount of play as my 09 had when the tensioner was flexing in and out. About 1/2".

Still, it never hurts to verify timing, turning the engine over until the T mark shows in the side cover hole. The lines on the cam sprockets should be parallel to the surface of the head... job done. If it skipped a tooth that is when you may see it. If the MCM was done the engine would need turned over until the cam lobes are off the valves, line up the T mark in the hole and the marks should be 2 teeth above the surface on the inside set of marks.

As for the gasket on the 2009 or any other like this. The way to keep it good is to simply put it back on when done with whatever you do or whenever there will be any delay. When I did the MCM and shimmed the valves I pulled the parts, then put the cover back on, snugging it down so as to keep the gasket fitted. Not a big issue.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Vid

Soooo i watched the vid and it does not look good at all . yes i did try and start it again like a dummy. yes i did burn my finger with the exhaust. I don't think i heard a kaboom but it didn't sound very good either way. By the way i been trying to open the side covers to check for timing but i cant, i bend all the washers i try with. I don't have the right tool for it either ahh man this cant be good. Just curious if i do get it open and lets say its on time. Can it be on time and still skip a tooth? or can it skip and still be on time? Also i read somewhere that leaving the gasket in warm water orevents shrinkage is that true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzO-...ature=youtu.be

PS: Sorry for quality and don't mind the other vids on the channel it was when i use to play video games

Last edited by SocialVirus; 08-20-2015 at 02:35 AM.