tell me your thoughts on my spark plug after rejet/muzzy

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default tell me your thoughts on my spark plug after rejet/muzzy

I just took the plug out for inspection since I am adjusting the needle from 4th to 3rd notch from top of needle. It looks to be a light tan on the tip which is good. The first thread and the rim are black but Ibelieve that is normal. Just curious on what some of you experts' thoughts are. I removed the airbox lid since the 3x3 mod, it didn't run as good. So I guess my 132dj main needs the max air. It didn't run bad, just not as strong as with no airbox lid. thx

setImgWidth();

Old 05-25-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: tell me your thoughts on my spark plug after rejet/muzzy

Looks a little lean to me man.
maybe need to try a #135?
When you do a plug reading get the bike to the rpm you want to read and then suddenly lock the back wheel with the brake to get an accurate read, otherwise your read is the idle setting. Oh, clutch it too if you like your rear tyre.
Lee

Old 05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks about right. It should be just about a white to light tan color. Not an ashy white. If theres no carbon build-up, then its not too rich either.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

well, I've got bigger problems now. I put in the twin-air, put the needle on the 3rd position and it had a big bog mid-throttle bog. Wait a couple minutes after you choke it and it will run okay. I switched it back to the 4th position and it seemed okay. Then, after some high rpm highway runs and then back to city cruising it has the mid throttle bog like it isn't getting gas. I don't know if my needle didn't fall in the hole straight or what. It's hard to tell since the carb is still on the bike and you can't really tell. I don't know if it would run or not with the needle not straight up and down. But I don't like this bs. I don't think I need a larger mainjet, a 132 is pretty big for here. I'd estimate that to be like a 130 keihin. Maybe my a/f screw needs turned in a half turn or something. I'll have to rip the carb out again this week.
also, and this is weird as hell; lastnight I had to hit reserve with only 58 miles on the tank. I put 1.5 gals. in. Something is sucking gas like crazy and I don't know why. The '09 requires premium, or min. 91 octane according to the stickers on the bike.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, Travis. Try it with the airbox lid back on and a slightly smaller main jet. The carb sucks gas for two reasons. One is by venturi effect, but the other is back pressure through the air inlet. I had fits with my bike until I put the airbox lid back on. I did leave the snorkel out though because it needs a little extra air...just not a lot. I know you know this, but it's a balancing act of downright stupid proportions sometimes. It'llmake you crazy but it's so worth it when it gets all sorted out.

Good luck, Man'o.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I would almost lay odds that something isn't right with the needle. If it's the Dynojet needle, make sure it's completely seated into the slide.

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

well, I've got bigger problems now. I put in the twin-air, put the needle on the 3rd position and it had a big bog mid-throttle bog. Wait a couple minutes after you choke it and it will run okay. I switched it back to the 4th position and it seemed okay. Then, after some high rpm highway runs and then back to city cruising it has the mid throttle bog like it isn't getting gas. I don't know if my needle didn't fall in the hole straight or what. It's hard to tell since the carb is still on the bike and you can't really tell. I don't know if it would run or not with the needle not straight up and down. But I don't like this bs. I don't think I need a larger mainjet, a 132 is pretty big for here. I'd estimate that to be like a 130 keihin. Maybe my a/f screw needs turned in a half turn or something. I'll have to rip the carb out again this week.
also, and this is weird as hell; lastnight I had to hit reserve with only 58 miles on the tank. I put 1.5 gals. in. Something is sucking gas like crazy and I don't know why. The '09 requires premium, or min. 91 octane according to the stickers on the bike.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

yeah, it ran fine up until I yanked it out today. I should've left well enough alone. Now I will probably need to remove the carb and manually reset the needle into the slide to make sure it seats. The question is, will the bike run nearly perfect with the needle no set in straight or will it not run at all. Because, after it gets gas it is perfect, but it just bogs out of the blue and all but strands you. You have to play with the choke to get home. It doesn't act like an airbox lid problem because the hole I cut in the lid is all but like having no lid at all. I think the needle is messed up or something.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got the dynojet kit with 300kit and staintune exhaust, I'm running 128main with clip on #3 from top, plug looks about the same, oh yeah I have airbox lid removed at the moment, no problems, I am going to try it back on and see what happens, I seem to get a hell of a lot more dirt in there with it off.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking that if the needle isn't all the way seated in the slide, you will be rich until the slide finally opens enoughtogive the engine a healthy dose ofair.This, of course, is based purely upon myspeculation that the needle isn't all the way in though [8D]

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

yeah, it ran fine up until I yanked it out today. I should've left well enough alone. Now I will probably need to remove the carb and manually reset the needle into the slide to make sure it seats. The question is, will the bike run nearly perfect with the needle no set in straight or will it not run at all. Because, after it gets gas it is perfect, but it just bogs out of the blue and all but strands you. You have to play with the choke to get home. It doesn't act like an airbox lid problem because the hole I cut in the lid is all but like having no lid at all. I think the needle is messed up or something.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

That's one of the things I've learned to appreciate about my pumper. Pull the tank, take out three allen bolts to pull the carb's top cover, then take out one allen bolt that holds the needle into the slide. When you put the needle back into the slide, you just drop it into the slide, open the throttle to WOT and watch the needle fall right into place. No diaphram to worry about either

Quick Reply: tell me your thoughts on my spark plug after rejet/muzzy