Tail Plate Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

The dealership story is hilarious, you should take the GS to the Kawi dealer tell them they were right, then ask them if they would like to take it for a test ride.
I did bring it by the Kawi dealer. I was picking up jets for the KLX. They asked if I ever bought the F800GS. I said it is parked outside. We could both see it from where we were standing... It was hard to read his reaction, but I think there was a bit of surprise. He was a good sport. He said, "Nice bike!"
I told him that they really have to find a way to do the test ride thing.

Your rack mod looks nice, real clean. What have you got there, about $40+ worth of aluminum?
Thanks! I used marine grade 5086 alloy. Very corrosion resistant. Not the strongest aluminum, but the hard board actually worked fine. Any aluminum will last forever.
I use .16" thick stock and a 12" x 12" piece was just a hair below $15.
McMaster Carr #5865T61

With the leftover I have a strip to run under the very tail to make a "clamp style bracket". The Flat heads are 1/4-20 running through the stock hardware with a Ny-Lock Nut. I'll use 3x Flatheads across the back to clamp it down. Rotopax and case hardware will be #10-32 (becuase I already have them in stock).

I'll have about $20 in material and hardware (including the wood version) and about 3 hours of labor when it is done. So if I where a machine shop at $50 an hour I have a $170 plate
Luckily, I do not run a machine shop

If anybody wants one I can trace it on paper and scan it 1:1 in a PDF and if you have a band saw (or more patience with a jigsaw or ??) you can cut one out for yourself. I can email the pdf you you. PM me if you are interested.

The key is getting the spacing (3.072" center to center) on the two Kawi "Bag" Holes correct.
- Fits like a glove!

It is so rewarding to make your own stuff.

Last edited by SlapDrum; 10-05-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
What's interesting about your experience was the BMW dealer here was just as accommodating.

I took both the F800 and the G650 out for half a day.
Then the guy was encouraging me to keep one overnight.

Just about all the other brands were far less willing to help me choose.
Either no test ride option or a ridiculously short ride.

Very nearly bought a G650GS.
In the end I opted for the CBFthou as it suited road touring more and I have the KLX for dirt time.

I can see me getting a larger capacity dual sport in the future.
I did like both the beemers.

The F8 is a really nice machine.
Make that yet another person with a good BMW experience. I went into a euro dealership (Ducati, BMW, Triumph, Piaggio, etc) looking at scooters originally (long time ago). They told me I could take anything out that I wanted to even though I showed up in a car and they had no idea whether I was able to ride or not. I really wanted a G650, but it wasnt in the cards in the end. While I was there they let people take some high end Ducatis out for some time too. Every other dealership I've been to refuses any test rides.

But I definitely want to do the BMW thing someday, they're quite nice bikes. And I'll definitely be giving that dealership business someday since they were so pleasant to work with.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Now if you can find a way to systematically fasten both the case and the gas can, that would be cool. Stack it up man! LOL

Old 10-05-2009, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Stack it up man!
I like the way you think... RotoPax has attachment points...
Hmmmmm, this will work.....

Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
Justin at Nomadic Racks (he sells on eBay)... I think it was $79
email him nomadicracks@yahoo.com.
- Tell him SlapDrum sent ya from KF
Thanks!!
I'm on it!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I did bring it by the Kawi dealer. I was picking up jets for the KLX. They asked if I ever bought the F800GS. I said it is parked outside. We could both see it from where we were standing... It was hard to read his reaction, but I think there was a bit of surprise. He was a good sport. He said, "Nice bike!"
I told him that they really have to find a way to do the test ride thing.
Ouch!! Must have been painfully obvious at that point, but yeah, what do they expect?

I'll have about $20 in material and hardware (including the wood version) and about 3 hours of labor when it is done. So if I where a machine shop at $50 an hour I have a $170 plate
Luckily, I do not run a machine shop
It is so rewarding to make your own stuff.
I always say I've got more time than money , and it is rewarding.
Nice that a 12x12 piece worked out for you. The bigger sizes get pricey pretty quick. I needed a 16x22 piece when I made my skidplate, and that moved me into the cost prohibitive sizes ($82 for a 24x24 at McMaster-Carr). Luckily I scored a free piece from a family friend.

Dan

Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got more time than money
+1

Free is my favorite price

Did you bend and weld too?
What thickness?
Photo?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Chris you've seen my skidplate (btw thanks for the nice words) . Here's the write up with pics https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=27266 I bent it and the guy I got the stock from asked his son to weld it for me. The aluminum I used for the skidplate is .125 thinck, I wanted .187 but the guy I scored the stock from could only get .125 or.250. He works in a fabricating shop and warned me that without real bending equipment I would have trouble bending much over .125 thick stock. He was right, on some of the wider bends it was difficult to make a nice sharp corner. It's all one piece and has 4 welds to tie some compound corners back to the main body.
Name:  IMG_1759.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  76.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4772-1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  101.7 KB

Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice work there with skid plate.

I must of missed it first time around.
Looks very "factory"

Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Ahhhh yes. I remember now. How could I forget the Iron Maiden poster

And Neil's right, it does look factory. Nice!

Quick Reply: Tail Plate Project