Tail of the Dragon run!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Default Tail of the Dragon run!

I just came back from a Spring Break trip to Bryson City, North Carolina, and managed to make it over to Deal's Gap and the Tail of the Dragon! Oh my gosh, if you ever get a chance to take your KLX 250 on the Dragon, do it. It's the most fun you'll ever have on pavement. No personal pix, but here's a great website: http://www.tailofthedragon.com.

For a while I was behind a pickup and a Porsche Boxster; the pickup pulled over and I followed the Boxster for a mile or so; he was hauling *** and the KLX was hanging on. The Boxster then pulled over and let me "go first" and I managed to pull away from him over a mile or so. He was quick in the corners too but the KLX was faster corner to corner.

Anyway, what an experience. My KLX is ready to be super-motard'ed !!!

Lance

Old 04-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Default RE: Tail of the Dragon run!

sounds like u had a blast. I was down earlier this yr and i had the time of my life. How bout some of those cliffs? Also if u go to www.killboy.com u can see yourself. He takes pics on the dragon.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:16 AM

Thats a real popular area to ride. But I personaly would never ride it, I'm even talking leisurley. There are way, way too many people that are running that thing like its a race course and don't know that there are actually normal people driving in the opposite direction on the road. Well, these people who are not staying in there lane and cutting the corners as close as possible in the other persons lane are just way too hazardous. There are wrecks that happen up there all the time because of dumbasses like this. Actually alot of these people go flying off the cliffs because there speeds too great. My boss used to live up there, grew up in that area on an old farm, and people were dying all the time up there.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I've ridden the dragon and love it. Just do it during the week and ride within your capabilities. Weekends are the problem.

I've gone up and back without seeing another bike or car during the week.

Old 04-08-2006, 03:40 AM

Yeah, there were only a handful of sport-bikers and maybe three cars on the Tail when I went. No-one was across the yellow line either way; I was on it on a Thursday. I can see where it would be too wild on the week-ends, though. I've seen some of killboy's pix with guys way over the line.

The tail of the dragon web site has some accurate statistics on Dragon deaths; fairly low when you consider the activity level.

Anyway, I'd go back in a heartbeat on a week-day; never on the week-end.

Lance

Old 04-08-2006, 03:48 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I've ridden the dragon and love it. Just do it during the week and ride within your capabilities. Weekends are the problem.

I've gone up and back without seeing another bike or car during the week.
Well damn Todd, whens the next time your coming up here? Thats not a far drive from me at all. How often you head over this way??

Old 04-08-2006, 09:54 AM

I think we need a Deals Gap KLX Owners Gathering. Everyone drives/rides up Wed, We can ride the Dragon on a Thursday, then hit a mix of dirt roads and trials on Friday and finally a MX park on Saturday and head home on Sunday. OR flip it and do the MX park Sat, trails Sunday then the Dragon on Monday and head home Tues. Only 2 days of vacation used. (Sorry I only have 10 days so I use them sparingly) It would be pretty cool to see a dozen or more KLX's riding together through there.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:04 PM

Well there is a sort of deal coming up in May.

"Tour de Tellico" is a gathering of dualsport bikes. Most of the folks are members over at klr650.net and there will be a lot of the KLR650's there. Also a lot of other dualsport bikes. If I can get the time off, I will be there with both my KLR650 and KLX250S.

For more information, go over to klr650.net and check out the southeast region.

The event is happening May 19 thru 21.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 PM

I can't get registered on the klr650.net site; is there another website that contains info on the "tour de tellico"?

Thanx, Lance