1st Gear Member

Name:  klx004.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  180.6 KB

Old 12-30-2011, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I have done mine twice. Over this past winter i had to replace 2 of those bearings and i needed the steering stem bearing too. I will be doing this same thing on my KLR this winter.
+1 Even after religiously greasing all the bearings every winter, I still killed the upper stem bearing and the shock linkage bearings. I say killed because they didn't wear out, they got a rust spot due to me apparently being over-zealous with the pressure washer.

I apply a light coat of waterproof grease on all the bolts before re-assembly. That has kept them from corroding so far.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Name:  Pic024.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  72.0 KB

Last edited by mustang; 01-17-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pressure Washing

If you dont pressure wash, your bearings would not need to be packed each year. You got a dirt bike, leave the dirt on it, except for the big pieces, it ain't going to hurt it. I wash the big chunks off with a hose if I ride in mud, but dont' get too worried about a little dirt staying on it.

I chuckle everytime I see a pristen clean dirt bike, are you crazy? .... or pickup truck!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej will flip at that.

But I'm with you, a bit of dirt adds character until it dries up and falls off.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If you dont pressure wash, your bearings would not need to be packed each year.
They need to be repacked once, preferably immediately upon buying the bike. Then, out in the desert where I NEVER go through water, it lasts for YEARS, as long as you don't use water to flush dirt into the bearings! My KLX has only been out in the desert for a couple of seasons, but, my KLR650 is starting on it's fourth season out here. I greased the swingarm when I first got it, just checked it and it was in GREAT condition.

I've only rinsed it down 3-4 times during those four years....water is the enemy, dirt is fine if the seals are intact and there is sufficient grease in the bearings.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
If you dont pressure wash, your bearings would not need to be packed each year. You got a dirt bike, leave the dirt on it, except for the big pieces, it ain't going to hurt it. I wash the big chunks off with a hose if I ride in mud, but dont' get too worried about a little dirt staying on it.

I chuckle everytime I see a pristen clean dirt bike, are you crazy? .... or pickup truck!
I dont agree with that. I greased my bearings 2 years ago. I did them again last winter and 3 bearings needed replaced. You also have to keep the forks clean, dirt does go past the wipers and fork seals and gets into the fork oil. Especially if the dirt is dried onto the fork. When its wet it wipes off...
I see a clean truck as one who cares about his vehicle and likes to take care of it.

I use my truck as a truck all the time, so dont think i drive a truck because i like the gas mileage.

Name:  2011-07-22_13-52-05_48.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  88.1 KB
Notice my license plates..... EMS TRCK and EMSBK

Last edited by EMS_0525; 01-03-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

EMS... you had 3 bearings go bad? how can you tell they are bad? That is just crazy!
So I guess you use a power washer?
We were talking about bearings.... I keep my forks spotless always, but don't use a power washer.
Oh yea, your the 1 in 10 that actually put something in the bed of their truck more than once a year, don't take it personal. Most truckers dont want to put anything back there cause it might scratch the paint in the bed.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I use one of those electric pressure washers maybe 2 times a year and dont go anywhere near the bearings. When i pulled the bearings out the races were just all pitted and were not smooth at all. My steering stem bearing was bad enough that it caused a point in the steering where it felt like the bars were almost a little bit caught on something. I greased them all the same the year before. I had so much grease in there that the seals didnt wanna go back on, so i have no idea how or why 2 swingarm ones were bad and the steering stem.

FYI little tip, to install new bearings or the races for the steering stem, if you put them in the freezer for a day or two before install they go in easy peasy.....

Yea i hear ya about the truck. I treat my truck as a truck. Constantly have something in the bed. Thats why i got a long bed, the short bed was too small! LOL I drive a truck so i can put anything in it an go where ever i wanna go with out worry.
Too small....

Learned from my dad... His 1973 pickup he has had since 1975. 454 camper special

My dads new(er) 2500HD sliverado on the left, my old sierra, my bro in laws sierra on the right.

Last edited by EMS_0525; 01-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Swing Arm Lube.

After going through the process of removing the swing arm, do you think it would be possible to drill/tap a zirc fitting to each point?
Great photos on this job. Makes it easier to tackle when you see how it's done.

Quick Reply: Swingarm Bearings