Suspension mods for heavy guys.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Default Suspension mods for heavy guys.

Hi,

Has anyone added heavier springs to their KLX? If you what part are the part numbers?
Thanks

Old 09-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Default RE: Suspension mods for heavy guys.

I've replaced both ends with the stiffest racetech springs using the ones listed for the KLX300. The rear spring was a direct fit but the front forks on our 250s actually require front springs ~20mm longer than those used on the 300 forcing me to come up with a creative shimming solution. Others on here have found the exact length front springs our bikes take which is the best option. Otherwise the KLX300 fork springs can be made to work. BTW I ordered my through thumpertalk.com. I highly recommend getting your bike sprung correctly before making any further mods, riding it with the wrong spring rates is dangerous and will eventually break parts more expensive than heavier springs cost.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: keevo
Others on here have found the exact length front springs our bikes take which is the best option. Otherwise the KLX300 fork springs can be made to work.
Thanks for the response. Could you please elaborate on this. Also how much was the rear spring?

Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

I have used race tech for my track bike,(street), and I would reccomend them for sure.

See this link for setting the sag on your bike, it is for street but the exact procedure applies to the dirt bike or dual purpose. Also search "Setting sag" and you will find lots of links.
http://www.roadracinghelp.com/TechAr..._sag_setup.htm

http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/setup.htm

Old 09-02-2006, 06:34 AM

Thanks.. I am going to require a different spring .. then I can adjust for sag. I think I found the rear spring for the klx 300 at race techs site.. it is 109.00 ... Now I am just trying to find the right springs for the front.. I am definintely going to need the manual to install these.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I have updated my front and rear springs with race tech springs on my klx. I got the springs from this place http://www.moto-pro.com/ . John is the owner and has all the specs for are Klx's.He used my bike for the base so now he can set up for anyones weight with the info he got from my bike. He will deliever world wide. Front and rear set me back $239.00. After some fine tuning I am very happy with this investment.
At the web site there is a my bike section select type in your wieght and it will tell you what spring rate you need front and rear. And the cool thing is are bike is listed

Old 09-02-2006, 07:29 AM

Sounds good. What did that include for the 239.00? I went to the moto pro site and after putting in my bike info and weight it came back with a bunch of stuff... did you get all the items?

Fork Info & Products

Data

Buy
Fork Brand KYB
Diameter 43U
Ultra Max Valving Kit UMAX 2006K
Stock Spring Rate (kg/mm) 0.37
Fork Spring Recommended 0.50
Fork Oil 10 WT
Inner Fork Bushings MBI 43201
Outer Fork Bushings MBO 43122
Fork Seals KOS 43
Dust Seals KDS 43C
Shock Info & Products

Data

Buy
Shock Brand KYB
Ultra Max Valving Kit UMAX 4412K
Stock Spring Rate (kg/mm) 5.8
Shock Spring Recommended 6.8
Shock Oil 5 WT
Shock Oil Seal 14KOS
Shock Seal Head Assembly Call for Details
Bottom Out Bumper KBO 01
Replacement Bladder or IRBK Kit KBL46X88

Also, were you able to do the upgrade yourself? Did it require any special tools? How long did it take?

Thanks again for all the help

Old 09-02-2006, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I just got the springs. John installed the springs for me thats part of the deal so if you want to pay for shipping ? he will install them for you. Other wise there are detailed install instructions and from what i understand it is quit easy. Special tools.. I dont think so but maybe some one else can chime in on that.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:48 AM

WTF $239 installed.. that sounds awesome.. too bad I live in FL.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Scat, was the $239 for both front and rear springs? Did they install or you? Did he do any of the fine tuning adjustments or did you do this yourself? I need to get some springs myself. That's next on the list.

Quick Reply: Suspension mods for heavy guys.