Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 AM

After jetting is done, I will check for this rec/reg problem and I will do the ground mod either way, but I will let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by Snypa; 08-23-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Snypa, please start a new thread. How is your fuel flow?

Back to the wire. SO what I did is make sure that plug with all black/y grounds have a GOOD ground.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e2/#post437328

Thanks Dan88

That is common in automotive. On Chevy Astro vans, there is a plug like in the other thread with all the can bus wires that connect all the computers in the car. Its a communications line. If one gets shorted, I can go to that plug and unhook each one at a time to find the problem.

David

Last edited by David R; 08-22-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by David R
Just for understanding, I hooked up the ground like I did for 2 reasons. I have no idea where the ground going to the rec/reg comes from or goes to. If I had .5 volt drop, then if anything else in in the circuit (black/y) it would also have a bad ground.

The frame of the bike and engine are all negative or ground in the entire system so to me it does not matter where or how its hooked up as long as its a good clean solid connection. I even thought of cleaning the mount, bolts and frame of the bike so the reg/rec had a good chassis ground too. I do this frequently. Clean off the paint from a component and make sure the case is grounded well to the frame where I clean off the paint too.

I would like to see where the black/yellow wire comes from. I have not looked yet. Been away on a 3 day 4 state 1,000 mile ride on a different bike. Tomorrow its back to the KLX riding it to work.

I would like to hear from anybody that does this and the results.

David
fyi, i added an engine ground from the b/y rect. wire but still get some stumbles in high gears around 6200/6300? Also i usually run 87, filled up last with 93 but doesnt seem to make a diff. I have not made any adj. to the carb yet, might try replacing the ground instead of the addition......

Last edited by klx250s_s; 08-23-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx250s_s
fyi, i added an engine ground from the b/y rect. wire but still get some stumbles in high gears around 6200/6300? Also i usually run 87, filled up last with 93 but doesnt seem to make a diff. I have not made any adj. to the carb yet, might try replacing the ground instead of the addition......
Sounds like a jetting issue. Either mainjet or taper needle. I added a bigger main jet (keihin 137.5) and that seems to have fixed. I still might do the extra ground for the regulator just want to hear more people doin it.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 PM

today, after changing the oil and warming her up, I sat in the garage(rain) and played with the throttle. I could tell it hangs up from 6-7k rpms. It would climb, climb, climb, slooowwwllllyyy climb, and then back to climbing befor reching the limiter.

Well, After grounding out the wire. It still ran about the same, so Im going to put the blame on jetting for now cause I know its lean. But atleast its done.

Last edited by Snypa; 08-23-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I finally got around to doing the wire and it worked perfect!! I have been dealing with this issue since I got the bike and it is finally fixed. Drove around for a few hours last night and couldn't get it to surge at all. Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to figure this one out. Only wish I didn't take so much time going in and out of the carb trying to figure this out...lol Thanks

Oh I did notice that after fixing the wire my idle went up a little bit....had to turn it down just a little. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not but figured I would mention it.

Last edited by seth6025; 08-24-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Snypa
today, after changing the oil and warming her up, I sat in the garage(rain) and played with the throttle. I could tell it hangs up from 6-7k rpms. It would climb, climb, climb, slooowwwllllyyy climb, and then back to climbing befor reching the limiter.

Well, After grounding out the wire. It still ran about the same, so Im going to put the blame on jetting for now cause I know its lean. But atleast its done.

Snypa, and KLX250s_s, I suggest raise up the needle a little. If its stock, put a washer under it. I am not sure if its your problem. Its where I would start for now.

Seth6025, In school, 30 years ago I was taught most of your carburetor problems are in the distributor (Ignition). They were right.

Its great to see good results. Thanks again main250SF!

KLX250s_s. Replacing the ground or adding it should make no difference. Perhaps this was not your problem.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx250s_s
fyi, i added an engine ground from the b/y rect. wire but still get some stumbles in high gears around 6200/6300? Also i usually run 87, filled up last with 93 but doesnt seem to make a diff. .
I don't know much, but, this doesn't surprise me at all.

In today's jargon, "Octane" is a measurement of resistance to premature ignition...the higher the number, the more resistant the fuel is to ignition prior to the spark plug firing. "Octane" is NOT a measurement of fuel Quality....IOW, you don't get better quality fuel just by selecting Premium instead of Regular. That's clever marketing to make people think that somehow the Premium is "better". If an engine doesn't require more resistance to premature ignition (one that has a high compression ratio, or, has hot-spot tendrils of carbonaceous material that serves as a psuedo-spark), it simply doesn't need Premium. There are some sophisticated computerized engines that can get a bit more power out of premium, but, a carburated motorcycle engine that's not a high-compression engine? Nope.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM

thanks David. My stage 2 jet kit and fmf should arrive today, so Ill see how she runs then

Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok ran into a big problem...the wire mod worked great for the surge but last night I was out and I lost all power...started as my dash lights werent working and then no headlight and bike shut down. So the battery is not getting charged??? Anyone else run into this? All I did was take that one wire and ground it to the engine.
On a side note will this bike not run at all with no battery power?? It acted like it was flooding until it shut down and left me stranded in the middle of knowwhere!!!

Any idea on how to fix this would be great...I like the mod because it finally got rid of the surge problem but kinda need my bat to charge too lol

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed