Super 331 combination

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Super 331 combination

Guys, I'm writing an article on this subject, but I wanted to share a few of my experiences with my friends on this forum.

I just finished riding the bike after mods and it rips. I know that's subjective, so let me be a little more specific. I still run stock gearing. I have read several posts where some of you have reduced gearing in order to essentially lighten the front wheel. This bike will wheelie in third gear with only a slight tug on the bars and a whack of the throttle. Fourth only takes a little more of a tug and it's right up there. A shift to fifth will often bring the rear wheel back under the balance point to keep the wheelie going.This will happen at 40 plus mph.

Wheelie-ability is only one, seat-of-the-pants way of explaining power. The dyno is, of course, better. Once my bike is broken in, I will get it on a dyno and good numbers will be available.

I went a bit further than just boring the bike though. As with several of you, I had Bill Blue work my Mikuni TM 33. He bored it to 34mm, fit and jetted it for the 331. It fits and works fantastic as-is from Bill. I'll work more on fine tuning it if the dyno run calls for it. Bill was fast and his work, flawless. I would trust him with any part of my motorcycle.

Marvin at Kustom Kraft bored the cylinder and handled arrangements for recoating. Everything from ring gap to piston clearance was spot on. Again, very timely. The J&E piston was pretty much like the one in the picture on this forum for the 340 kit.

Now for the difference. Luke's Racing in West Middlesex, Pa worked the head over. His porting, polishing and combustion chamber work are a work of art. It seemed a shame to bolt it on and cover it all up...until I rode it.

Melissa at Web Cams handled the camshaft work. Trust me, those cams, combined with the other work make this bike a fire-breather. I seriously doubt that any DRZ 400 will even come close, but we'll see.

Final compression ratio, according to Luke, is around 13/1 before he works over the combustion chamber. His work there lowers it to around 12.5/1 where it runs fine on pump gas. It still starts fine with the electric starter too. As the engine breaks in, it is gaining more power, buteven now, it's the bike we all wanted when we bought the KLX. It's still at or near the price of a DRZ 400 and with the Muzzy, about 30 pounds lighter.

Don't sell the KLX short, guys. I've never owned a more fun bike in my 60 plus motorcycle history!

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 03-23-2007, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Super 331 combination

sheeit yeeaaah!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-24-2007, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Great news to hear about your mods. Which Webcam grind did you go with?

Old 03-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I can't wait to read your full article, Bill. Sounds like you've done your homework and gone head and shoulders above anyone else here as far as performance upgrades. Bring on the dyno, can't wait to see what you top out at. But use a slick for the dyno if you can, it will make a difference and you'll short change your reading with a knobbie.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

well, laughing, you really don't have a KLX anymore.
[sm=angrymail.gif]

[sm=wtf.gif]is it then?

Its green, says KLX on the rad covers, looks like a KLX, smells like a KLX. I'd say its a KLX

Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess we all have our cyber soap boxes we jump on from time to time. I'd be very interested to see some dyno results on this bike.

ORIGINAL: TeamKLX250

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

well, laughing, you really don't have a KLX anymore.
[sm=angrymail.gif]

[sm=wtf.gif]is it then?

Its green, says KLX on the rad covers, looks like a KLX, smells like a KLX. I'd say its a KLX

Old 03-24-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

"i wouldn't be comparing it to a DRZ400 "

Honestly, I'm not sure what we should compare it to other than the stock KLX. There will always be faster and slower bikes, even among the exact same species. Iowa's point is well taken, about the dollar and skill investment required to upgrade the bike's performance. Of course people have been trying to squeeze as much "go" from whatever they rode or drove since the beginning of time. I'm pretty sure that performance upgrades are at least the second oldest profession.

My point in the comparison was that for about the same money we can have a bike that might perform considerably better. I have never ridden a DRZ 400 so maybe that was a bad choice. Hmmm? Maybe we should compare it to the 450XC...Just kidding Brian. Or not? Depends on what we're after.

No. My idea was to get the best bang for the buck and to sample some of the skills of the aftermarket. By doing so, we learn of alternatives to simply doubling our investment to get a faster bike. So far, the operation is more successful than I could have ever dreamed. The shops I used, many of whom you have already done business with, know their stuff. This engine is mechanically very quiet. The Muzzy with quiet core isn't bad and is light. What is not to like? It still looks as cool as it did in the showroom too.
As somebody mentioned, it really is a wolf, or perhaps a cheetah in sheeps clothing.
Whatever it is, it's a ton of fun.

I plan to ride it in the Hillbilly dual-sporttour in Eureka Springs Arkansas next weekend. If any of you can join us, look me up. I'll be on the green KLX. Can't miss it.

Here's the link to the ride for anyone who might like to come.

http://www.rideok.com/forum/forum_po...D=241&PN=1

Bill Dragoo
Norman Oklahoma

Old 03-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shadetree
Maybe we should compare it to the 450XC...Just kidding Brian. Or not? Depends on what we're after.
Actually, it might compare more favorably than one might think.

The dyno runs on the KTM I've seen are up around 45 HP or so. The best I got from my KLX was 27. I have no idea what yours would dyno at, but I'm sure its well above what mine did. But by seat of the pants feel, the KLX has that same snap as the KTM, the same hard acceleration when you want it, and that instant response feel when you turn the throttle. The KTM is certainly ratcheted up a few more notches, but I can't imagine anyone dissing the modified KLX. I certainly don't, and my KTM is running pretty sweet right now after rejetting jetting and addressing the overly high gearing. Of course, it doesn't need big bores and pumpers, those are included in its price.

One other thing, after starting my KLX the other day with the Muzzy and after only hearing and getting used to the exhaust note of the KTM, man that KLX was music to my ears compared to the KTM stock exhaust. Not that the KTM exhaust note is bad, but the sound of the KLX & Muzzy is just so sweet. The KTM engine is also very noisy, but everyone says that is normal, the KLX is quiet by comparison. Also, with the big bore and pumper carb, the KLX definitely has respectable torque, grunt, acceleration, whatever you want to call it.

Sure it took some pretty serious green beyond the purchase price to get it there, but it's there. Just be sure and take care of your suspension. The KTM's is already set up and sprung pretty well and that's one thing I never upgraded on my KLX and if it makes it feel anywhere close to what the KTM's suspension feels like, then I'd say that is a "must have" mod, and not that expensive for just springs - less than $150 for fork springs and depending on your weight you might be able to make due with the stock rear spring since it is already sprung pretty heavy. I weigh 185 in street clothes and the guy at Moto-pro said the stock rear spring rate was fine for me.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Shadetree, Where will your article be published. I would be interested in reading the finished article especially if it contains more info than you have already shared here. Great work!

Quick Reply: Super 331 combination