Sub Zero starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Sub Zero starting

It still sounds like the only thing left to do is drain the carb. I know that seems like a hassle with the drain screw behind the pipe, but trust us anddo it and the bike will start. Tipping the bike over is not a guaranteed method although it works every time for me and the other bikes I have in the garage. Drain the bowl, open the petcock and then pull the choke and hit the starter. Let us know what happens.

But I have to tell you, and this goes for anyone on here that is having trouble getting the KLX started, if you even think that it might be a few days before you ride again,RUN THE GAS OUT FIRST!!! works every time. It has never failed....not even once. Just last week I thought I was going to ride again the next day so I didn't drain the bowl, and I got distracted on house hold projects and 4 days later I had to crank on the starter and pull the choke in and out and after a minute it finally tried to fire and finally started.

That was only 3 or 4 days, every other day you can get away without doing that, and if you ride everyday, then forget about it, you'll have no problem starting the bike. But give it a week without this procedure and you're gonna be pulling your hair out trying to get it started. Disclaimer: (No bald guys were hurt in the making of this thread)[8D]

Now that being said, there are a few guys on here that never shut off the gas, never drained the bowl, and never have a problem no matter how long the bike sits. Do I know why? No[:@] Do I want to know? No, I gave up trying to figure that one out. Am I going to continue to use my method to ensure the bike gets started? Yes

Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I have taken my bike out of "storage" at least 3 different times, just wanting to wrench,this year including tonight. Crack that bowl drain and let a half ounce or more gas drain into a panand fire 'er up. She fired on very little battery.You just need a long allen to get by the pipe (over it).

Old 03-27-2008, 04:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Just give the sucker a shot of ether ..... if it won't run for a second or two after that you got a problem....if it does, it's the carb/fuel.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Is the drain bolt allen head or torx? I just got home from work this morning..and will be heading to bed soon....damn backshifts, but when i get home Friday morning, i am off for the week-end and my goal is to have the bike running by friday afternoon so i can finally take it for a rip with the new 45-tooth rear. I also remember now that the garage was warmed up the day I did the carb work, so that too may have played a factor when it last ran. I will try the bowl drain..if that doesn't work it's off to the automotive store for some quick-start..I am sure that will work...unless I got other problems, like u said. Thanks guys.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Heyheyhey Mudjunkie.
Loads 'o good info here.
When you attempted to start it. Did you smell gas? if yesmight be flooding. If no then crank up the idle. Or give just a little twist on the right bar end.
Remember it's gonna be fuel/air, spark or compression.

We'll getcha going... have faith.
I'm just a friggin old buck, but these young fellows will be up on the electronics of the beast.

Cool 78 cb550 the first bike I lusted after was the Honda super sport. Finally had a cb1(just sold)
I feel the need these days for excess speed!!! Lookin for somthing hot that is insurable.

Let 'er howl! Marc

Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Holy ****...I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself...drained the bowl using the allen screw, turned on the gas, waited about 20 secs for the bowl to refill, pulled the choke, hit the start button and VROOOOOMMMM!!!!!!

You guys are awesome! After all the charging, re-charging, tipping the bike over and back up, choke on , choke off, gas wide open, plug change, etc....I am totally in awe that allit tookwas to drain the float bowl using the screw and let it refill and the bike started right up!!

Thanks again....took it for a rip up and down the driveway, and around the house (don't have new plate sticker yet..and its still cold here) and all I did was spin the rear tire, but the front did come up once. I will have to wait for the ground to thaw before I can give it a true test drive with the new sprocket and chain, but I have a feeling i am going to like it this way. the front when it did come up, came up pretty darn easy.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Holy ****...I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself...drained the bowl using the allen screw, turned on the gas, waited about 20 secs for the bowl to refill, pulled the choke, hit the start button and VROOOOOMMMM!!!!!!

You guys are awesome! After all the charging, re-charging, tipping the bike over and back up, choke on , choke off, gas wide open, plug change, etc....I am totally in awe that allit tookwas to drain the float bowl using the screw and let it refill and the bike started right up!!
All conspiracy against petroleum fuel theorists and'can't be the fuel, must need a hotter spark' groupiesplease take note.

Glad to here you got'er running! Yet another believer is brought into the fold[8D]Bwaaahaha!

Now if Kawasaki could eliminate some of the variation in their production process, maybe you wouldn't get one person's CVK34 handlingthe problem better than another.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marc11

My bike has been sitting for a few weeks while I installed all my new stuff. It has been cold here in NY, single digits and hardly over 30 at all. Today it was around 25 when I finally finished and started it up. Now, I always let it run out of gas when I put it away.

I turned on the gas, pulled the choke, waited about 20 seconds and hit the starter. Engine turned over MAYBE one time and fired right up, ran perfect. I let it warm up and took it for a cold 20 mile ride to the self service car wash. Washed her down, hit the button and it fired up without choke. Purred like a kitten.
I'd be scared to wash down a hot engine after a 20 mile ride. I usually let mine cool down at least 1 hour before washing it.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post...the gas in the tank was fresh (less than 14 days old) and it even had stabilizer in it....so if u can't get the bike to start, I highly recommend draining the bowl as i did and trying it again.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That's all I was saying. I was going to post the procedure again, but I didn't want to sound like a broken rec..rec...reco..rec...rec... bump...record. Now next time so that you don't have to go through all the heartache and hair pulling, shut off the fuel a block or 2 from your house and let the bike run out of gas. Guaranteed it will start up everytime.

Quick Reply: Sub Zero starting