Stupid Newb Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stupid Newb Question

Do aftermarket grips come with the throttle tube insert in them or is that a part you have to buy separate? Tried the search function but couldn't find anything.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On many/most of these types of Japanese motorcycles, I usually find a rather specialized plastic throttle grip with a matching grip. By "specialized" I mean the OEM throttle tube often has a big, plastic ridge that fits a grip style with a matching groove for this ridge to fit up into. Most all aftermarket grips don't have the matching groove, so you have to grind off the plastic ridge on the OEM throttle tube. This isn't a big deal and can easily be done on a bench grinder. It doesn't have to be a super exact grinding as long as you don't go too far and damage the plastic throttle tube. Some of the OEM throttle tubes don't have a huge ridge and you can often just push the new grips over the ridge. In this case, however, I can just about guarantee that you will wear through that grip at that spot relatively quickly.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Why do you want a new tube? Did you break it? Usually you don't need to replace the throttle tube, just the grips. On a related note , make sure you buy motorcycle grips and not ATV grips. Motorcycle grips have one grip with a larger inner diameter that allows you to install it over the throttle tube.
Most grips are motorcycle grips, they should be marked if they are atv grips.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 11-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I've tried 90% of the big name waffle grips & was never very impressed.

Stumbled onto these Oury grips by accident & gave them a go.....I like very much!! Very chunky & extremely grippy wet or dry. only $10 a set.

Still got my original throttle tube after about 4 grip changes so far.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I make a practice of installing heated grips on most of my bikes. *Aftermarket grips do not generally come with the throttle tube. * If I recall correctly from when removing the KLX grips, there is quite a strong glue bond between the grip and throttle tube. *I had to whittle the grip off the tube with an Olfa knife!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Why do you want a new tube? Did you break it? Usually you don't need to replace the throttle tube, just the grips. On a related note , make sure you buy motorcycle grips and not ATV grips. Motorcycle grips have one grip with a larger inner diameter that allows you to install it over the throttle tube.
Most grips are motorcycle grips, they should be marked if they are atv grips.
Dan
Yep. So it sounds like I need to buy the OEM tube and grip (they come as one item) and go from there. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaemersonke
Yep. So it sounds like I need to buy the OEM tube and grip (they come as one item) and go from there. Thanks for the help.
Let's start by saying that grips are like shoes...different models, styles, and fits come together to dictate what works for you. But no...you don't have to buy the OEM tube and grip. For me, the OEM grips kinda suck...but I'm sure it works for others. The best way to go is to find a grip you like and just grind off that plastic ridge on either the OEM throttle tube or the aftermarket tube if it has the ridge. It's plastic on those models that have the ridge, and it grinds off easily. I just replaced the original OEM throttle tube...which I had already ground down that ridge...as it was getting brittle with age...an '06 model. I replaced it with a Motion Pro OEM style replacement which is also plastic and very affordable. I ground down the ridge on it too. My advice is to get grips that you like and worry about grinding down that ridge later, if it's on the model of tube you end up getting.

There are some alloy throttle tubes out there of very high quality, but I find on those that it you take an odd hit across the length of the tube...and yes, it can happen even with the best bark busters mounted...and then the throttle tube will drag on the handlebar because of a dent. It's amazing how much abuse a good plastic throttle tube will take on a dirt bike without failing, and they take hits like I described above much better than an alloy tube. Motion Pro also makes an almost indestructible plastic style tube called the Titan tube, but it's not designed to be used with bar end mounting bark busters. Apparently you can't cut out the end without compromising the tube. I need my bark busters, or I'd run that tube.

If the only thing keeping you from buying some better grips is that plastic ridge on the OEM style throttle tube, don't give it a second thought. Grind it.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, so there are other throttle tubes out their than the OEM ones. That was the info I needed. What motion pro throttle tube works for the 2012 KLX 250s? Part number? I couldn't find one specifically for this bike. Thanks.

Last edited by jaemersonke; 11-18-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jaemersonke
Ok, so there are other throttle tubes out their than the OEM ones. That was the info I needed. What motion pro throttle tube works for the 2012 KLX 250s? Part number? I couldn't find one specifically for this bike. Thanks.
I don't have Motion Pro's number, but it's the same tube for all KLX250's, KLX300's, most XR Honda's-200-250-350-400, and many more motorcycles. Their site should have the exact number. This may be the most common tube out there.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

These are throttle tubes I will have to buy some day soon, made by Zeta.

KLX250 Specials | Handlebars and Grips | Zeta Aluminum Throttle Tube - Wheeling Cycle Supply