Stuck in 6th

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ng-pics-37982/

I have never thought the search function here on KF worked that well. BUT if you serch well enough or long enough just about everything you can imagine has been covered here. LOL
Photo bucket has changed so i dont know if Relic's tutorial above is still accurate. Posting pics from PB the way i do it is just copy the IMG link below your photo on PB and then paste it here in the text box when you post.
Glad you got your problem fixed and glad you want to post up pics. I enjoy pictures and think they tell the story better. Following up on a post is a big help for people searching for solutions to the same problem in the future.
Dan

Name:  radass-daily-viral-pic-dump-21_zpszqgjbrgi.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  84.0 KB

Old 11-27-2015, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

LemonRX, odds are your shift star is just sort of glued in place by excessive thread locking compound used at the factory. It should pop loose with a little more effort.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

It is a possibility that the alignment pin between the shift star and shift drum bent (instead of the usual shearing) enough to jam them together.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-28-2015, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Lutz, have you ever had this problem? I'm still working with the engine inside the frame and don't really have anything that's the right size or shape to reach back and start prying it off. Any advice or tips?

Brewster, is there any way to check without splitting the cases? Really don't want to have to do that.

Thank you both for reading through my posts fully to catch the part where I said "I'm stuck here"

Old 11-28-2015, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LemonRX
Brewster, is there any way to check without splitting the cases? Really don't want to have to do that.
No need to split the cases. I'm talking about part # 610

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...8849#sch579759

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-29-2015, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

It's not showing up for me. It'll take me to the BikeBandit page, but the diagram doesn't load, even after refreshing. Gonna try to look at it a different way.

Oh!!!! That's little guy. haha Yeah, I may have to check that once I get it off. When you were talking about aligning with the shift drum I was thinking that I would have to take the drum out to check something. Any tips on how to get the shift star out if the pin is bent? Would it be possible to tap that pin towards the shift drum to loosen the star?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LemonRX
Any tips on how to get the shift star out if the pin is bent? Would it be possible to tap that pin towards the shift drum to loosen the star?
Yours would be the first one that I know of with a bent pin so I don't have a suggestion on how to get the shift star off. Maybe you could fab a small version of this gear puller: Custom Accessories 78886 8" Extra Large Gear Puller - Walmart.com

Thread a bolt through the star so the center of the puller has something to push against.

If my feeble old memory is right, the pin sets in blind holes in the star and drum..........no tapping it out.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 11-29-2015, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow Lemon, didn't realize you still haven't been able to remove the shift star!

It is a precision fit but it is also a pretty stout assembly... it would be real hard to bend the pin between the shift drum and the shift star, especially since the bolt was holding it all together (as it was supposed to be) when you pulled the cover off. I agree with the post above that perhaps some excess locktite may be holding it on. Since the star has to be replaced, there wouldn't be any harm in grabbing it with a pair of vice-grips and rocking it a little. I can't imagine it taking much more effort to get it to come free. There just isn't much to get in a bind between those two parts once the center bolt was removed.
TC

Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Lemon, try to get the pics posted, I'm not sure that i (and maybe others) am understanding how far you have gotten, and exactly what the problem is, pics would help. I have most of these parts loose in a box that i can take pics of, if you need to see how it looks out of the bike. Did you remove the allen bolt that goes through the center of the shift star?,
Dan

Old 12-06-2015, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm trying my darndest to figure out how to post pictures, but I may end up just having to take a short video, upload it to YouTube and post a link. Yes I have all the bolts removed, and the only things I have left to take out are the shift star, and the spring mechanism that sits towards the front of the engine.

I did finally get my parts in, and below I'll paste a link to the Kawasaki Parts Diagram and use the reference numbers to try and draw a picture of what I have left.

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF (KLX250W9F) Gear Change Drum/Shift Fork(s) | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation

From that link, I still have to remove #13145 and #610. The pin (#610) is stuck inside the star. I have removed #92150 and had no issues pulling #13091 right after it.

2009 Kawasaki KLX250SF (KLX250W9F) Gear Change Mechanism | CyclePartsNation Kawasaki Parts Nation

From this link, I still have to remove the entire assembly of #311, #92026, #13236, #92022A, #92144, and #92004. I'm aware that I may not need to or be able to remove #92004, but that's fine. I've removed the 10mm nut (#311), but it seems to have no effect as the following washer (#92026) will wiggle, but not come off. I have tried pressing down on the lever (#13236) and even held it in place while trying to remove the shift star.

I suppose I could use vice grips to grab the star. Just don't want to risk damaging anything else.

Quick Reply: Stuck in 6th