>> Street-titled << KLX 450

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: >> Street-titled << KLX 450

It's not really that difficult. Well, perhaps so depending on where you live. A friend of mine just did it for $200 to a WR 450. The cop didn't even look at his tires which were not street legal.

It's funny,I read about you guys getting pulled over and that cops don't like 'dirt bikes on the road', and I've never even had them look at me. In fact, my friends who drive 'real' dirt bikes on the road don't get any crap either. I wonder why that varies from state to state. I mean, Michigan is not exactly in the redneck belt, so you'd think they would be a little less tolerant here. We need to get o the bottom of this immediately.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a KLx 250 now, and I was at our local trails/tack and I rode a KLX450 and wow. The bike was amazing. I could take jumps and realy tackle some of the dificult trails. It was an amazing bike....but I got to drive mine home from the track which was also enjoyable. I have a company car, and it is hard to fit a Bike in the back seat. I have some friends that are cops; I will ask them.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I was told by my local Kawasaki dealer that only the Kawasaki MX bikes have "Off-Road Use Only" on their MCO's (manufacturer'scertificate of origin). The KLX450's MCO simply says "Motorcycle". In PA, all you need to do is install the street-legal equipment, get it inspected (required for allregistered vehicles in PA), and plate it.

I don't know any of this first-hand. I was shooting the bull with the dealer and that's what he told me. If your serious, it might be worth checking out what that means to you in Georgia. Also in PA, even if the MCO states off-road use only, you can still plate it by applying for a modified title. A modified title heremeans that you changed the vehicle to serve a different purpose (ex. turning a school bus into a camper). In the case of an off-road bike, you install the street-legal equipment, then have it inspected by an "enhanced inspection station". When they sign off on it,you geta new title and a plate. Several guys around here are running plated CRF450's, and that's how they did it. Maybe Georgia has something similar?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have been contacting some folks and it does seem a little easier than I first suspected. Thanks for all of input. I am going to keep the ball rolling.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

On the key issue..... why dont off road or mx bikes have keys..... hell craftsman riding lawn mowers have keys.... why wouldnt they put them on expensive bikes that can just walk off..... if all it takes is kicking it a couple times and its fired up....... that makes no sense to me.....

Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

+1

i thin kthe lawnmowers need keys to keep children from running over eachother. but dirtbikes need keys too

Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

On the key issue..... why dont off road or mx bikes have keys..... hell craftsman riding lawn mowers have keys.... why wouldnt they put them on expensive bikes that can just walk off..... if all it takes is kicking it a couple times and its fired up....... that makes no sense to me.....
I know what you mean! A keyed ignition was one of the reasons I hadchose not to get a WR at the time I was looking at a KLX250, but at the time I didn't realize how cheap and easy it is to add one. I added a BajaDesigns key to my WR, it was only $40 and comes with 2 keys. Simple 2 wire install using the kill switch wires, mounted on the side behind the front headlight. Just keeps anyone from walking up to the bike and driving it away. I'm sure adding one to the KLX450 wouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply: >> Street-titled << KLX 450