Stock Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock Tire Questions

I gotta say, I'm pleased with the stock tires but...I've done 875 miles on the street and 25 on trails/dirt.

1St Question:
At what point do the knobbies start to lose grip on the street? for example 25% left?, 10% left?

I know they'll never be as good as a pure street tire but When I get My ZX-6R, I should be pleasantly surprised at the tremendous amount of grip.

2ND Question: Is it ever cool to put your foot down while cornering on the street?

The other day I went a little too hard into a turn and I ended up putting my left foot down and it really helped me get through the turn.

Thanks for any advice

Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock Tire Questions

I've put around 650 miles on dirt/slate. Rough trails. Very rough. I have barely any tread left on the stocks and only maybe 100 mile son the road. They get shakey at 85 mph.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I replaced my original 603 rears at 4,382 miles only because it was getting hairy off-road. On the pavement it stillhandled like a dream as there were plenty of tread still left.

When you say putting your feet down, you are talking about super motard style cornering?

Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I ran my stock 603 for 2000 miles and it still had 25% left, and I never slid once on the blacktop, and I corner pretty hard. As far as the putting your foot down and out, I do it by instinct from my old (really old) days of riding strictly dirt bikes. I know it looks funny sometimes to people but it just feels right. I even tried it once on the three wheeler I had back in 1990, just once, that will grab your attention for sure.[8D]

Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

When you say putting your feet down, you are talking about super motard style cornering?
I basically just took my left foot off the peg and straight to the road. I didn't really lean on it but used it more for a bit of reassurance and to lean just a bit further.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I actually slide my foot on the blacktop as I corner. I alsotake my foot off the peg to test out the grip of the road, for example ice, wet, sand or ice melt in a marking lot, it pays to test stuff out sometimes.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I actually slide my foot on the blacktop as I corner. I alsotake my foot off the peg to test out the grip of the road, for example ice, wet, sand or ice melt in a marking lot, it pays to test stuff out sometimes.
That's it exactly, Like you said, "It just feels right" It was an instinctive reaction. I guess if I was to go through the same set of turns a bunch of times, I would be better off staying on the pegs and leaning more. I'm very impressed with how well the KLX handles tight corners.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Not your typical Supermotard style but check out Xaus on the Hyprmotard, screeching, smoking rear tire and all. Note position of front tire!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow that's a sweet picture, but for the love of God make it fit the page, I can't stand scrolling back and forth.

Name:  Ducati_hypermotard-a_2007_03_1920x1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  68.6 KB

Old 07-27-2007, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Wait I just thought of something, that would make a nice desktop, hang on I gotta save it.

Quick Reply: Stock Tire Questions