Stock springs - Weight range?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock springs - Weight range?

The stock suspension is good for which weight range?

Which company makes spring for the front and rear suspension? I don't find anything for the KLX250S online.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock springs - Weight range?

Somebody please jump-in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the bike comes set-up for a 180lb rider...although I think it would be a bit mushy at that weight.
As far as after market springs go, here are a couple of sights that have the right stuff.

http://www.moto-pro.com/default.asp has a tab at the top of the pagecalled 'My Bike' where you can enter make, model, rider weight, riding style, etc and it will calculate the spring rating you need. The KLX250s is included in the flip-down menu, soyou're all set. They are one ofonly afew sites that sell aftermarket springs specifically for the KLX250S. Most sites use KLX300 springs which are slightly shorter in length.

http://www.brucessuspension.com/index.htmThis one is more of a 'mom-n-pops' type place. It's best to give Bruce a call and tell him your specifics. He cares very much about getting the suspension right for you and will go to great length at no extra charge to get it that way.

Good luck.

ORIGINAL: Ziguy

The stock suspension is good for which weight range?

Which company makes spring for the front and rear suspension? I don't find anything for the KLX250S online.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Stock fork springs(.38kg/mm)are suitedfor a 140 pound rider sans gear, the rear spring(5.8kg/mm) is for a 180 pound rider. Not a great balance from the factory.

I'm in the same boat trying to determine what other bikes share the samerear shock spring dimensions to source used springs from Ebay.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Those sound like KLX300 specs. Are you sure it's the same with the KLX250S? I ask, because I really don't know for sure.

ORIGINAL: Team FTB

Stock fork springs(.38kg/mm)are suitedfor a 140 pound rider sans gear, the rear spring(5.8kg/mm) is for a 180 pound rider. Not a great balance from the factory.

I'm in the same boat trying to determine what other bikes share the samerear shock spring dimensions to source used springs from Ebay.

Good luck.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ive also heard the klx is setup for a 150lb rider tho im not positive.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I had moto-pro do my suspension last year and John confirmed 150 lbs to 160lbs is what factory has installed.
.37 front and 5.4 rear

Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scat

I had moto-pro do my suspension last year and John confirmed 150 lbs to 160lbs is what factory has installed.
.37 front and 5.4 rear
funny thing is i weigh 160+- and before i messed with the shock settings they were still WAY to soft for anything but timid jumps...after i had launched off of a coal bank and thought i broke the bike in half it bottomed out so hard, i knew the suspension needed seeing too.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I never did say the set was correct, just stated the finding. Believe me I now what you are talking about. I am not a small guy 260lbs so getting rid of the ( How does Marty put it ) the little green rocking horse was high on my list. John at moto-pro got me all set up and I am much happier with the green machine now

Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm 165 and bottom out on almost everything I hit or land with the stock suspension. I am going to try the .42 front springs and wait on the rear spring for a little while.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:40 AM

I am about 180 and it bottoms like crazy! I hope some of you find out what will fit so I won't have to do a lot of research [8D]

Quick Reply: Stock springs - Weight range?