stock spring possible replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I may have a 6.6 available shortly... just received a 7.0. I'm 235 on a good day. (today is probably a 240 day... maybe a 241...lol) I started with a 6.2 and it was a bit light for my weight... the 6.6 is pretty close (I can't remember my actual sag numbers). Once I get the 7.0 installed I'll check my sag and see where I'm at then give her a spin. If I like the 7.0, I'll let the 6.6 find a new home at a nice discount.

Edit: 7.0 installed, without gear (237 lbs) I was right around 80mm sag, with 25mm static sag. Works for me.. I'll give it a ride tomorrow.

(I know I should measure geared up... but I'm too lazy right now. I added about a quarter turn of preload and now static is 20mm, so I should be good geared up)

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 02-15-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is a pic of the spring

Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Abramsgunner
I may have a 6.6 available shortly... just received a 7.0. I'm 235 on a good day. (today is probably a 240 day... maybe a 241...lol) I started with a 6.2 and it was a bit light for my weight... the 6.6 is pretty close (I can't remember my actual sag numbers). Once I get the 7.0 installed I'll check my sag and see where I'm at then give her a spin. If I like the 7.0, I'll let the 6.6 find a new home at a nice discount.

Edit: 7.0 installed, without gear (237 lbs) I was right around 80mm sag, with 25mm static sag. Works for me.. I'll give it a ride tomorrow.

(I know I should measure geared up... but I'm too lazy right now. I added about a quarter turn of preload and now static is 20mm, so I should be good geared up)
yes please let me know about the spring

Old 02-16-2019, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Stock spring on my '09 was white...so that is probably it. It will be a little light for 215 lbs, but you shouldn't be low-riding. It also looks like you have plenty of threads left for preload, I bet it is not even screwed down to stock specs.

If you measure from the center of the upper mount bolt, to the top of the spring surface: stock is 107mm, range in the manual is something like 101mm-123mm

You might also have some lowering links installed... measure from center to center on the linkage dog bones. I think the '06 model uses 117mm links, and the '09 might be 119mm... I'd have to look it up. I believe Longer = lower seat height. The length is often stamped on the bones.

I'm actually running 117 on my '09.

Edit: I'll let you know about the spring once I get a ride in.... was too busy to ride today.

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 02-16-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't see anything from the photo that looks out of whack. I agree with Abrams that it looks like the stock spring and it isn't so light to cause the squat that you are experiencing. Like he said, it may have been lowered with an easy change of the dogbones. I would check that first.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I am taking the shock off the bike tomorrow. I tried to adjust the collar but it's a pita while on the bike. I have to build a stand to get the rear tire off the ground first. Then will take off the shock completely. Plus the top collar is stuck.
The hight of the bike is good. I think just need to compress the spring to give it more strength.
never taken off a shock before on a bike so this will be the first. Kind of a week end worrier Mechanic so this will be interesting.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vital04
I am taking the shock off the bike tomorrow. I tried to adjust the collar but it's a pita while on the bike. I have to build a stand to get the rear tire off the ground first. Then will take off the shock completely. Plus the top collar is stuck.
The hight of the bike is good. I think just need to compress the spring to give it more strength.
never taken off a shock before on a bike so this will be the first. Kind of a week end worrier Mechanic so this will be interesting.
It's cake, good project to cut your teeth on... (Shock bolts are 14mm, linkage bolt is 14mm on the bolt and 17mm on the nut)

-Raise the bike on your stand so the rear wheel hangs free (HF has a dirtbike stand you can get for $19 with a coupon)
-Pull the seat and left side cover
-Remove one of the bolts holding the dog bones, I did the front, but I don't reckon it matters. You may need to jack the rear wheel up a bit to get the bolt free... let the dog bones swing down (swingarm is hanging free at this point).
-Remove the bolt holding the bottom of the shock to the linkage
-Raise the rear wheel as high as it will go, I used a floor jack. I've also used ratchet straps in the past.. there's no spring pressure, just weight of the wheel.
-Remove the top bolt holding the shock to the frame
-You should have room to jockey the shock out of the left side of the frame... it takes some patience, it will come out when you turn everything just right. (If you don't raise the rear wheel, the swingarm will trap the shock.)

Reverse to put it back together. You will most likely have to move the rear wheel up and down a bit to get the dog bone holes to line up so you can insert the bolt.

Dog bone bolt is 61 ft-lb, Shock mounting bolts are both 29 ft-lb. I like to lightly grease the bolts and a little anti-seize on the threads.

PS: I'm sure there are some pdf manuals floating around (assuming you don't already have one) and hard copies can be had for $40-$60... the manual is easy to follow and worth the money

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 02-17-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

@Abramsgunner Thank you so much for the details.. it really is not that bad (I can un-clinch now hehe) I started it yesterday evening. I thought I was going to drop a ball trying to loosen those dog bone bolts. finally had to use a breaker bar to add some extra muscle. Shock is completely disconnected but, ran into some trouble trying to get it out of the frame. My jack will not go up high enough. so tonight I am going to use straps.
BTW thanks for the tip of I went to HF and picked up the bike stand.
Tonight I will continue and hopefully get the shock out and then work on the rest.

Fun project though. I love doing stuff like this.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vital04
@Abramsgunner Thank you so much for the details.. it really is not that bad (I can un-clinch now hehe) I started it yesterday evening. I thought I was going to drop a ball trying to loosen those dog bone bolts. finally had to use a breaker bar to add some extra muscle. Shock is completely disconnected but, ran into some trouble trying to get it out of the frame. My jack will not go up high enough. so tonight I am going to use straps.
BTW thanks for the tip of I went to HF and picked up the bike stand.
Tonight I will continue and hopefully get the shock out and then work on the rest.

Fun project though. I love doing stuff like this.
You're welcome brother, was fresh in my mind from swapping out springs. I didn't raise the wheel all the way up the first couple times I pulled my shock and I remember it being a bear. Raising it all the way to the top gives the bottom of the shock room to move toward the swingarm and get untangled from the linkage so you can tilt it enough to pull it out of the frame.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I put a wood screw into a rafter of the garage and use an adj strap to connect to the frame near the seat and strap the bike from the rafter as it is on the bike stand. Things on higher places have a thing about falling over around me, and it will fall into my van.. or me. Also, depending on where the strap hits the bike you can keep the front, rear or both wheels off the ground and do some serious wrenching without the bike falling off the stand.
Use marine grease on everything when you put it back together.

Quick Reply: stock spring possible replacement question