Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?

ORIGINAL: HawaiiRider

Thanks Deej. Still waiting on that Tail light, I think it was you that suggested it.

Stellar, so the end of the throttle is closed? I was working on the clutch side first so I haven't bothered getting the other grip off yet because I got stuck. (For now any way, going to get a new 5/8 tommorow, no drimel, so I'll be using the trusty circular file!)
Not completely closed, theres a small hole in it. Not big enough to put much more than a pencil in if i recall. I just cut the end right off.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep just take a hacksaw and carefully cut off the plastic right at the end, take out the shavings and install new grip which you will also have to cut the end off with a razor knife after its installed and theninstall the hand guards.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

What model Acerbis guards did you buy? I have a set (with the metal bar) but they look like they wont clear the master cylinder.[>:]

Has anyone else here been sucessfulinstalling the Acerbis guards and if so what model guards did you use? It looks to me that the brackets that clamp to the bars appear not long enough to clear the master cylinder. If they dont fit I might have a fire sale on the guards because the dealer told me they wont thake them back because I opened the package! The ironic thing is they walked outside with me to look at the bike to see if I was comfortable with the black color....Such AHOLES...[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 08-22-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got the rally dualsport handguards. They didn't snap right into place for me, but I convinced them to fit.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

check here.. not sure if mine are the same
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q168/klxsonly/jsac/

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Acerbis Pro Rallys and they press against the line of the master cylinder but they do clear.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM

I also order the Rally Pro's, they look like they'll clear it all.

The stock bar is over, I had the smoking like a damn oil refinery. Going to get 7/8's Pro Tapers tomorrow. No one around me had a 5/8" metal bit so I went with a 1/2" to no avail. My industrial drill was even ready to quite half way through. And the metal shards that were flying out almost set fire to my foot! I tried Deej, now I'm taking the easy/expensive way out.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

All you have to do is tap threads into the end and bolt up the guards. No drilling or grinding needed

Old 08-25-2007, 09:18 AM

Wish I would have slowed down and thought about it a little more. The guards showed up, I saw the end caps that needed to go in the bar so I started drilling. Not usually my style. The stock bars with threaded ends would have been a great choice.
At least my wallet took the brunt and not my hands seeing as I did get the gaurds on successfully. I used the Pro Taper Reed/somebody series. They are a little taller than stock with a little less pull back, nice for my size (6'2"). It was the Acerbis Rally Pro's and like someone mentioned, they press FIRMLY against the master cylinder (the spot that holds the brake fluid?) and I had to switch the brake line holders around the other way but it's working nicely.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll snap a shot of my rally pro's tomorrow. Had no problems drilling/grinding or rubbing against anything.

Quick Reply: Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?