Steering Stabilizer Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Steering Stabilizer Recommendation

I installed W.E.R. stabilizer's on both Jo Ann & my KLX250 also put one on Steve Bakers bike. We noticed a big difference whenridingin rocks or in the woods where there aresticks on the trail.I have installed W.E.R. stab's on the past (4) dirt bikes we had.
I'll have Steve post somephotos later of the mount I put on our bikes.The stab was the first thing I put on the KLX 250 when we got them.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick question Bill, why do ya perfer the WER over a Scotts, I am considering one for my ktm adv?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

thats what i mean tremor, like a pumper, so expensive,,, and not that much difference.... unless you have money falling out of your pockets its not worth it IMO
Yeah I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from when it comes to price, but there's no way I could ever say "not that much difference" about my pumper carb.

I think the pumper youchecked-out for this bike wasa TM34 that Marty installed. That carb really is a weak sister compared to the FCR35 and especially the TMR-MJN that I own...I meanthere isaREALLY noticable difference. TM33/34sare more snappy than the CVK, but you really need to tweak on them to even equal the mid range and top end pull of the CVK.This is notso with the FCR and TMR-MJN. They are in a class by themselves and their AP hit is much, much stronger as well.

Another guy that can back meup on this is Bill P. atThumper talk.He has owned KLX's with 331 large bore and 340 kits installed, but if you ask him to choose between a 340/331 with CVK or 300cc jug with FCR pumper carb, he will choose the 300cc with FCR35 every time. Hewill tell youthat a properly tuned FCR35 makes the biggest difference, hands down and I totally agree.

As for the steering damper, I would like to have one, but not for 300+ dollars.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:19 PM

I recently bought and installed a WER orginally made for a Yamaha R6. It takes a bit more work to install as you have to drill new fender holes, etc. But it works. I also had to raise the headlight assembly an inch and hack the bottom of the headlight plastic off. You'll have to do that no matter what. The dampening is adjustable so you can make it as stiff as you want. The manual does say that if you can feel it by simply turning the handlebars, its too stiff. My bike tracks better in the sand and the front end doesn't wobble at 75mph (82mph indicated WOT) on the street.

I also added a smaller UFO black fender while I was at it on the front. I just think it looks better.

Now, you might ask, why the heck go through all the work to modify one that was made for another bike? Well, they are on close out at denniskirk.com. They are only $132. You could even buy one there, and then buy the correct mounting brackets from WER and come out way ahead.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

That good info, Bones. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I got out for a ride and with my Motosportz damper and it made a pretty big difference, I thought. There is this rock garden I ride through with melon sized rocks, about a hundred yards long or so, with a long across about half-way. Damper installed vs without is literally night and day. With the damper it is so much easier to stay on course and not deflect off the side and the bike feels so much more stable. Without the damper, my bars were being jerked around and it was a real effort to maintain course and hit the log at the right spot to cross.

On gravel, it felt like the front did not wander as much. On pavement, I cranked the damper all the way up and it was like riding on a rail, going perfectly straight with no hint of head shake. I even tried to force a head shake and it always recovered itself very quickly and was rock steady.

I will say that its effects are a little subtle. But it's good in that it stays out of the way and you don't even realize it's there until you need it, and then it makes all the difference in the world.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

That's encouraging. In my asphalt environment the headshake doesn't get to the point where it's scary, but it's an annoyance that I could do without. Besides, it doesn't look cool when Islip by a sportbike in the tight stuff onlyto havemy bike do some whacky looking oscillation when I power out ofthe corner. [8D]

Old 10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

The brass colored thumbwheel has a 2 turn adjustment. Set on one turn, the steering stiffens up just right. The wind doesn't blow the bike around in a strong crosswind. The bike feels like it gained a hundred pounds as far as steering stability goes when set up like that. These vane style steering dampers have the most damping effect at straight ahead, lessening towards steering lock. So in the tight stuff like woods riding, there is just a little effect. Going straight down the trail, where ruts might deflect the wheel, it damps out that tendency.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer Recommendation