Standard Non-O-Ring Chain Care Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Standard Non-O-Ring Chain Care Tips?

As a result of some inattention & indiscriminate clicking while on eBay recently, I ended up with a new drive chain for the KLX which is NOT an O/X-ring type.

I am well aware of the virtues of a sealed chain, but given that I am now stuck with a standard chain, I am considering just installing it and running it till it's done. I anticipate I might get one season out of it given some 60/40 on/off-road use.

I am looking for maintenance tips & techniques specific to standard chains from anyone with experience. Years ago I ran a track bike with a standard chain and I recall cleaning it with kerosene and lubing with 80w90 gear oil. I'd prefer something less messy this time but I am open to ALL suggestions!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

buy an x-ring lol. but really get a chain brush and break cleaner and use some pj1 on it for lube you'll need somethin sticky because regular oils won't be retained

Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Any of the spray can chain lubes that go on thin penetrating the links then tack up. If you bought a cheap chain it'll need adjusting every other ride and you'll soon tire of it and buy a sealed ring chain.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Kerosene and chain lube. I don't see why it would be any different than a sealed chain.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

You'll just need to clean and lube it more often while checking for stretch. Taken care of a standard chain can last quite a long time.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

While I would always suggest an O ring chain these days I have ridden longer they they have been in common usage and The non O ring worked well for me even in the hardcore racing days just require a little more maintance and I always got more than a season out of them.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Just providing an update on the performance of the standard non-O-ring chain I installed last fall. It's now been in service for 5000 km (3000 mi) and I am pleasantly surprised that it's held up better than I expected, especially since it's been subjected to winter road spray & salt.

I can't say that I have given it much more attention or adjustment than I would have to an 0-ring chain. Perhaps the materials are stronger, or lubricants are better, than they used to be when I last used a standard chain, but it's been more trouble-free than I remember.

It also provides less rolling resistance than an 0-ring chain does, not that it necessarily translates into more rear wheel power, but it can't hurt either!

I'll be interested to see if it lasts another 5000 km...

Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
I'll be interested to see if it lasts another 5000 km...
Just a quick update on the chain: I sold the KLX shortly after the previous post above. At that time the chain had ~6,000 km (4,000 mi) on it and the new owner even commented on the 'new' chain I had obviously just installed on the bike.
With a little routine cleaning and lubing, I found that in low HP applications like the KLX, a non-o(x)-ring chain is just fine...

Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had one on my vintage MX bike for two years now, and surprised how little it's worn. It's also a low HP application, and I don't race it every weekend, but I think I've only adjusted it once in two seasons.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I've had one on my vintage MX bike for two years now, and surprised how little it's worn. It's also a low HP application, and I don't race it every weekend, but I think I've only adjusted it once in two seasons.
On that adjustment schedule, I still can't believe this chain and sprocket performance on my bike. I bought that highest priced DID Gold X-ring chain and a set of steel sprockets...14/47 and 13/47. I installed them in January 2010. I have not had to adjust the chain in all that time. I would not believe that if I heard it, but that's what's happened. On my street, trail, and enduro race bikes over the years I've worn out a ton of chains and sprockets. I've never seen a chain wear like this current one. I use a Dupont spray chain wax aerosol from Lowe's. It seems to attract less dirt and ease the wear between the metal-to-metal chain and sprocket action. The o-rings seem to like it too. For good o-ring chains, obviously no lube really gets into the rollers.

I don't commute on my KLX, though I do occasionally ride it around my home area on pavement some. Other than riding off road in lots of mud, I think highway cruising is harder on chain and sprocket wear than off road short of harsh full race conditions.

Quick Reply: Standard Non-O-Ring Chain Care Tips?