South Australia - KLX Territory!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:27 AM
Default RE: South Australia - KLX Territory!

Thanks Brain.

Yeah it was a great days riding and the bike handled it all very well. There's actually better riding than this around too (just to make you more jealous)

I also managed some of the best economy I've had yet on this ride 118kms from 5.33L (which is 52 mile/US Gallon). Mind you it was mostly dirt road riding with very little full throttle. In heavier going I have sometimes only gotten 40 mile/US Gallon.

What are you getting from the 300 kit? Are you enjoying it?

Old 07-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I haven't filled up yet, but the tank is getting close to empty. I've had other issues that preclude me from riding at the moment and have not been on the bike in over a week. My parts should be here tomorrow though and hopefully I'll be back in business. BTW, it was nothing to do with the 300cc install, but it was my own stupid fault. I won't go into it too much, but suffice to say that I'm 95% sure I damaged my ignition coil and needed to order a replacement. It's about a $50 part - where do they get the prices OMG! But the worse part has been the wait - no local dealers carried parts so I had to order on-line, and they, in turn, had to order from Kawasaki. Anyway, it's supposed to be here tomorrow and hopefully my bike will be back to running order.

From what I've ran of it, though, I love it. I can definitely feel the strong pull and pop the front end a lot easier than before. Also, I got me a set of Kenda TrackMaster II tires which I already have on the bike, but alas, I can't test them out until I get the new coil. Those look like some very aggressive treaded tires, BTW.

Before the 300cc kit, though, I was getting about 65 MPG.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 AM

Brian,

You must be going crazy having it sitting there after fitting the 300 kit and not being able to ride it!

As you can see in the pics, I'm up for a new rear and have decided to try the Michelin AC-10.

On the way home from this ride yesterday we stopped past a suspension place. I had one of those expensive, unplanned, spur of the moment upgrade splurges, and left the bike there to have the forks pulled off, re-sprung and fully tuned. Ooooppps. It's about the last thing I've been wanting to do (except the tank) and is finally happening.

I'll keep you posted as to what I think!

Drof

Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Great pictures Drof, what brand riding gear are you wearing? It looks comfortable, but probably warm.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:14 AM

Mike,

Funny you should ask, Brian also asked when I sent him some pics a while ago.

I wear the Scott 'San Diego' pants (and jacket normally). However, in those photos I've got my Dririder jacket on, because it was fairly cool and we were doing a reasonable amount of fast, open riding. The Scott jacket is just a shell with venting and zip off sleeves. Great for heavier tight stuff when you get hot or the weather is a bit warmer.

I've got the San Diego jacket on in this picture (attached):

My gloves are also Dririder. Dririder is an Australian company. They only make bike gear, and GOOD bike gear. Check out their site: www.dririder.com.au (not sure if you can get it in the U.S.)

Boots are Gaerne's RX2's (I love them - heaps of protection but easy to walk in)

Helmet is a One Industries Kombat (best fitting helmet I've ever owned).

Also have a set of Fox (I think) knee guards on under my pants and Dainese body armour under the jacket.

Progrip goggles.

Actually, I probably shouldn't have done this because i just realised how many dollars that all is. Money well spent though.

My motto is: If you can't afford the right safety gear, you can't afford the bike!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1924/323A004A3455429FB85CD779FD51B368.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM

wow, i cant blieve they named riding gear after me. lol. now i really gotta get me some. cause im scott in san diego.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Great pictures, its nice to see other places that riders call home.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:21 AM

I agree Deej.

I love seeing photos from people's different local areas.

Part of the reason I really enjoyed this ride and posted the photos was because I thought the country side might be a bit different than what some people on here are used to, and they also show the diversity of riding that we experienced in such a short distance.

Anyone out there willing to take a few photos on their next local ride, how about sticking a few up with a short ride report!

Drof

Old 07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

In case you didn't get to see one of my last ride reports. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_50222/tm.htm

Old 07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Drof, nice report and pix

Quick Reply: South Australia - KLX Territory!