Something to check on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Something to check on your bike

This weekend while we were MX racing an odd thing happened. One of the guys racing in my sons class had the timing mark plug fall out of his KX250F. After the race he came over to see if we had an extra and to tell us of the incident. He ended up losing over half of his oil in the engine during the race. It appears that there was no damage but that is something only time will tell.
Anyway, we checked our plugs and ended up tightening the timing mark plug about 1/4 turn and the center plug amost a 1/2 turn. I then checked my KLX and the same thing was true. Later on we learned that a guy riding a new YZ250F had the same plug fall out. I ended up loaning him the one out of my wifes TW so that he could run the second race.
I don' t know if it was just something in the stars this weekend or if this is more common that I ever thought. But, get your screwdrivers out and check those plugs!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Something to check on your bike

Hey Gary, thanks for the heads up, can you post a pic or two and how to do this? I don't have a clue.........of course that goes without saying. Thanks man.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have any pictures handy but, on the left side of your engine, where the flywheel cover is, there are two plugs with sloted heads. One is in the center of the cover and the other is toward the top of the cover. They have orings on the backside and I suppose that they don't have a torque spec because of that. But a large flat bladed screwdriver is all you need to snugg them up.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I just found (stole) this pic from fingermullet. it shows the locations of the two plugs.

Name:  DSC01017.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  80.8 KB

Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds a little fishy to me, but thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine today

I've seen some messed things happen at the track, from stealing brake pads to cutting throttle cables, messing with carbs and letting the air out of tires do you think someone may have loosed it up on you guys? One thing I've learned is you always have someone stay in your pit area at all time.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I thought it to be quite the coinkydink myself. And there are times when things are left without supervision. I would hope that no one would stoop to such stuff, but I know that it does happen.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: poodlenuts

Sounds a little fishy to me, but thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine today

I've seen some messed things happen at the track, from stealing brake pads to cutting throttle cables, messing with carbs and letting the air out of tires do you think someone may have loosed it up on you guys? One thing I've learned is you always have someone stay in your pit area at all time.
WHAT??? I can't believe fellow racers would do this as it is a huge safety issue. If I found out someone did something to my bike or racecar there would be police involved, and that would after I beat the living crap out of them.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh OK Gary I get it now, I thought it was something inside the engine, thanks for the heads up. That's what makes this place the best around, guys that actually care about each other and keeping everyone happy and safe. Peace.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Or the oldest in the book...turn their petrcock off on the starting line. The pros grind the petcock lever off till it is almost nothing &make a "key" that will still operate it.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

Or the oldest in the book...turn their petrcock off on the starting line. The pros grind the petcock lever off till it is almost nothing &make a "key" that will still operate it.
hahah thats a good one.....

The one dealer put those on soooo tight on my bike that i had to use a flat screw driver with channel locks to get them out....
[:@]

Quick Reply: Something to check on your bike