Some questions about FI on the KLX

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Some questions about FI on the KLX

A lot of the information about the KLX deals with the models that were carbureted, jetting specs to work with or without the lid, what the best aftermarket exhaust are etc. My bike is a 2019 with FI of course, and I would like to learn more about it. I believe that FI, takes into consideration air temp, engine temp, assuming this by measuring coolant temps?, possibly whether the bike is lying on it's side or not, throttle position sensor., not sure whetheer it can measure air density. Then there is the 0xy sensor, in the muffler and I'm going to guess it alters fuel supply? Not sure whether the system is open or closed loop, but guessing since there are these separate sensors, that it is likely closed. I am interested in some modifications, but realize that increase air in or exhaust out, is going to probably affect fueling, whether the existing monitors are capable of making those adjustments, is a bit of a conceern.

So if someone is willing to take the time and trouble, or refer me to someplace where this information of provide, I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Any substantial change to the bike will require fuel tuning.
The bike uses the O2 sensor for closed loop over a narrow operating space. It is not going to compensate for large changes.
From what I can tell, Kawasaki uses speed density for low throttle angles and uses alpha-n for higher throttle angles.
The bike reads air temp, coolant temp, atmospheric pressure and manifold pressure, throttle position, and secondary throttle position.
This thread gives an example of a tuning exercise. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-needed-48437/