Some newbie exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Some newbie exhaust questions

I don't want to sound like a total idiot here as I do know my way around engines but I bought a KLX250s (2007) a few weeks ago and just want to be sure I have my terms correct. Been loving the bike BTW.

I haven't ridden in many years and my skills haven't caught up with the bike yet. I'm sure I'll be modding soon but for now I just want to get a better sounding exhaust. It kind of sounds like a sewing machine stock.

I've listened to a bunch of samples on You Tube and although it's hard to get an idea of volume there you can pretty much tell the tone. I personally like the sound of the FMF pipes. I've narrowed it down to the Powercore 4 or the Q4. How much louder is the Powercore 4? Also, do they both come with a spark arrestor?

What is the "silencer" part of the exhaust FMF refers to on their website. I know there is a header pipe out of the engine, then that slips into the muffler, which has the spark arrestor in it. Just don't know what they mean by silencer? Is that the thing you repack every now and then?

Finally if I got the Q4 would the passenger footpeg still be operable?

Thanks for any help here guys.

- Mark

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

muffler silencer same thing... just like GM calls it a drive shaft and Subaru calls it a propeller shaft.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

If your just looking for sound, you could try drilling out the baffling. Much cheaper than changing your exhaust. Then when your ready to do upgrades on your bike, you can get the exhaust system + jetting.

I also found taking the lid off the airbox made for more sound (not necessarily at the exhaust end) also cheap to do.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I run a full Muzzy exhaust. Sounds great, has a spark arrester. The passangers pegs do work, but they do scrape a little when it's cold, and more when it heats up and expands. Since I don't ride passangers very often I take them off, and put them back on when I need them. If your skills still need a little improving, I suggest not riding with passangers yet.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not riding with passengers. But would like to have the option for the future.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I should add that I'm very conservative about rating my riding skills. I did quite a bit of dirt riding until I was out of college then stopped. I'm just very cautious and don't want to overestimate where I am. I'm taking it nice and easy, just pushing a little more every ride as I get back into the groove of things.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Q4 and really like the sound. It is not obnoxiously loud, yet has a note of authority. Your neighbors will not complain much and you will be welcomed to ride places where loud bikes are frowned upon. Remember that loud pipes just **** off the majority, no matter what we think.
Some drag race tracks now have mandatory mufflers, and have to stop running at 10pm so the neighborhood is peaceful.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I love the sound of my FMF Q4 slip on. Think you may want to rejet if you add a slip on. It may make it leaner than it already is, which is is already lean from the factory. Any body else have an opinion on that? And yes, the passenger pegs are still usable.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scallen
I love the sound of my FMF Q4 slip on. Think you may want to rejet if you add a slip on. It may make it leaner than it already is, which is is already lean from the factory. Any body else have an opinion on that? And yes, the passenger pegs are still usable.
+1 to all that, and the comments GaryC made.
The pegs still work but the pipe is close, so watch your finger when you go to fold it out after the bike has been running. ouch! And no, I didn't learn, I've done it again since.

Name:  IMG_4778.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  36.9 KB

Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Whoo, let's lance that sucker!

Quick Reply: Some newbie exhaust questions