So what am I doing incorrectly? Speed sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default So what am I doing incorrectly? Speed sensor issue

Took my front wheel off to replace a bent rotor. Had speedometer prior to wheel removal.

Put everything back together and no speedometer.

Took everything back off--reviewed the service manual page (whose B&W low res photos are just as useful as they were back in early '70's--not at all) and reinstalled. Spun the wheel by hand thinking there should be some flicker or something, but no.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2020, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

It seems to me that the plastic ears the stick up to engage the metal prongs in the hub are just barely connecting. It is possible to spin it without them coming into contact.

Possible they are worn down?

Old 04-12-2020, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Year and model??

Old 04-12-2020, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Guess that would help.

It's an '09 KLX250S

Old 04-18-2020, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thought I had it figured out as it will now show numbers--but they are entirely random numbers

22, 3, 14, 6, 1 6 18

Bummer

Old 04-18-2020, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

The speedo uses a hall effect switch(that's the black plastic hub) that engages a couple of tangs in the hub assm. There is a harness connector by the headlight-make sure it's ok. The simplest test to see if the sensor is working would be to turn on the ignition(dash is displaying)insert a flat blade into the notch on the sensor hub and get the sensor hub to spin. You will see the speedo changing if the sensor is working. If that's the case then it isn't engaging on the hub drive dogs. If the speed doesn't show any change then time to break out the service manual for the diagnostic tree.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Radianrider
Thought I had it figured out as it will now show numbers--but they are entirely random numbers

22, 3, 14, 6, 1 6 18

Bummer
Make sure your wheel spacers and the pieces for the speedo are all arranged as shown and nothing got flipped around during installation (like the piece in the meter).

Old 04-19-2020, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

[QUOTE=GBAUTO;549493]The speedo uses a hall effect switch(that's the black plastic hub) that engages a couple of tangs in the hub assm. There is a harness connector by the headlight-make sure it's ok. The simplest test to see if the sensor is working would be to turn on the ignition(dash is displaying)insert a flat blade into the notch on the sensor hub and get the sensor hub to spin. You will see the speedo changing if the sensor is working. If that's the case then it isn't engaging on the hubdrive dogs. If the speed doesn't show any change then time to break out the service manual for the diagnostic tree.[/QUOTe

Okay, I'll give that a try. There was a little piece of metal in the hub, but the insert is unbroken. It seemed to be the same shape as a square hole in the speed sensor, but I wasn't sure there was supposed to be anything in the inset area.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ALONEINTHEHILLS
Make sure your wheel spacers and the pieces for the speedo are all arranged as shown and nothing got flipped around during installation (like the piece in the meter).

Thanks for the diagram. Pretty sure all that is assembled as it should be.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay, have the speed sensor back apart. A couple of questions:

1. The parts schematic says the inner hub is part number 21192, but I can't find any hub that looks like this one using that part number. They are all black and have much more prominent tangs. As you can see, this one appears pretty worn.

2. Is there supposed to be anything in the hole at the top of the speed sensor hub? You can see the sort of square hole inside the hub at the top in the picture.

3. Don't mind replacing the sensor magnet, but at $35 or so, I don't want to spend it if the speed sensor hub is broken.

Quick Reply: So what am I doing incorrectly? Speed sensor issue