So...I got the bike pretty much in time to go to lockdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default So...I got the bike pretty much in time to go to lockdown

Bought my '09 about a week-and-a-half prior to going on lock down and I was out of town or it rained for most of the time.

I was just getting to the point where I could get on and off without face planting (it is a LOT taller than my Triumph Street Scrambler) and my legs aren't that tall. So, on to things to do in the garage while waiting this out.

1. New air filter after finding a hole in the original. Never had an oiled filter, so had to learn about that.
2. Changed oil and oil filter--not going to tell you what oil I used or an oil war thread might break out.
3. Pulled the clutch lever off to replace it (apparently bent in a fall), but decided to whack it with a hammer as it was cheaper and just as effective.
4. Adjusted the control positions so I can use them in the standing position.
5. Discovered that the shift lever needs to be re-tapped to resolve a bit of slack.
6. Diagnosed a bent front brake rotor and need to figure out a good replacement.
7. Added a Battery Tender pigtail so I can keep a tender on the bike.
8. Watched several videos for short-legged people riding taller bikes (and they helped!) I can get on and off now and am no longer sure that it is just a matter of time before I face plant.
9. The clutch safety switch broke while I was working on it (bike wouldn't start in gear), so I jumped the wires, put it back together and re-installed it.
10. Have bopped around the subdivision a few times and got about an hour ride in the day before the lock down went into effect.
11. Have taken a LOT of ribbing from my riding friends about needing a milk crate on the bike--and I thought that was just for KLR riders!

So, not much left to do except replace the front rotor.

May re-organize the garage so I can fit the bikes and cars better.

What are you all doing to do the "shelter-at-home" thing without going crazy?

Old 03-30-2020, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

"Without going crazy"........missed that one by a few years! Haaaaaa

Old 03-30-2020, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Where do you live, I'd like to leave my bike there for a week or so. You could fix everything, right?

I just used a big cresent wrench on my front rotor after hitting a fallen tree root ball in the desert @ about 30mph. The front brake lever osillates a little when I apply the brakes, but it's a dirt bike, no problem.

Last edited by durielk; 03-30-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Where do you live, I'd like to leave my bike there for a week or so. You could fix everything, right?

I just used a big cresent wrench on my front rotor after hitting a fallen tree root ball in the desert @ about 30mph. The front brake lever osillates a little when I apply the brakes, but it's a dirt bike, no problem.
PLUS 1 on this, just take your time and you should be able to get the rotor near perfect. No need to purchase new.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm running KLX300 rotors front and rear. The front is a bolt on for any KLX250 and the rear requires the shorter caliper carrier because the rotor is smaller than the one on the post 2009 KLXs

You can probably find a used KLX300 rotor on ebay for less than $30. I bought one for $20 just because it was so low priced. They had it listed as a rear rotor, but the picture was a front, which they verified was a correct picture, so I bought it. Trying to buy a new petal cut rotor will probably cost twice as much or more.

Here's one on ebay for $25 including shipping click

Like I said, I know because I'm using one just like that one on my own 2009 KLX250S

If someone wants a whole wheel for a pre-09 or for off road only and don't care about a speedo, there is a KLX300 wheel on ebay for $50!

Last edited by klx678; 03-30-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

"Without going crazy"........missed that one by a few years! Haaaaaa"

As long as you own it!

Last edited by Radianrider; 03-30-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

KLX678,

Okay, I'll give it a try for $25.00. Never tried to drill out a rotor, but the drill press is just sitting there.

I'll work on straightening out the old one, but not a bad idea to have a backup plan.

I'd read your tips on other posts, but having you point directly to the one I need was very helpful.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2020, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk

Sorry about that, but social distancing rules!

Old 03-31-2020, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Jamming a Kickstart into my 2009.

Old 03-31-2020, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

What are you all doing to do the "shelter-at-home" thing without going crazy?

Jamming a kickstarter into my KLX...

Quick Reply: So...I got the bike pretty much in time to go to lockdown