Smokin is bad for ya.. and yur KLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Smokin is bad for ya.. and yur KLX

Hey all... Some new names and some I still recognnized.

It's been awhile... Hi!!!

I do ride my KLX still... occasionally. But it is ussualy the Husky that gets all the attention now-a-days.

But when I fire up the KLX it smokes like crazy until it getswarmed up... Is that normal after sitting for a couple weeks?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What up home slice? LOL

Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej. Sup

Last time I was checking in you were getting ready for a long haul with your "brother?".
Hope ya had a good time.

Think of your three closest friends. If they seem normal
you're the one!

Yup, still me...

Old 10-12-2010, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
But when I fire up the KLX it smokes like crazy until it getswarmed up... Is that normal after sitting for a couple weeks?
Yep, the valve seal(s) may be bad. Usually what i've seen is that if you start it up on a weekly frequency, it will not smoke anymore on startup.

Sounds like the cure to get your KLX to quit smoking is to ride it a little more

Although I can't blame you for riding the Husky over the KLX

Old 10-13-2010, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

any recent pics of the new bike?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  03122010HuskyRide-Miller17.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  51.9 KB

Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  06142010BBfoprSundaeRide03.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  48.5 KB

I put the larger tank on.. much better for getting lost

Still love the KLX. My brother rides it when we go out. He maintains the DMV fees and insurance and that keeps it in the garage for me for free.

KLX is more comfortable than the Husky

Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks.. I'll just have to take it around the block every now and agian. - thanks.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey SlapDrum, not to derail your thread, but how do you like your Husky?

I was looking for a 2010 TE 310 earlier this year, but everyone, including 2 dealers, told me I wouldn't like it. I was told they don't have much low-end torque and to look at a TE 450 or wait for the 2011 TE 310 with the new engine. The dealers wouldn't let me ride one, and I wasn't about to drop 8 large on a bike they said I wouldn't like without riding it first.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Mustang,
I like it... no.. Actually... I love it. It is not fair to compare it to the KLX for power, torque, or suspension etc. It really is a dirt bike with a license plate.

As far as low end torque, I guess it is whatever you are used to. It has a little less than the green sticker dirt bikes, but I dont know how the 450 compares. I have never rode a dirt bike of that magnatude.

How far away are you??? You can ride mine.

Actually I met a now really good friend on Thumper Talk. I was fishing around about opinions on the TE and found a guy about 10 miles away. Steve. Steve let me ride his TE300 (250 +50, like mine). And I let him ride the KLX. He did not really wanna ride the KLX but we went riding together so it just kinda worked that way.

His bike was stil in the "break in" period and still had the throttle stop. But even with the 1/2 throttle, i could tell it was going to give the KLX a run for the money.

I bought mine about a month later. Killer deal and could not pass it up. 1000 miles on it for about 1/2 what it was worth....

Honestly, the first 5 miles I did not really like it. Too snappy, just did not really feel right. Maybe this was a waste of money... Keep in mind all I really know was the KLX and the F800GS.... and the quad.... By mile 10 hmmm maybe this is not so bad.... I remember very clearly looking down at the speedo and saying to myself... "26 miles and I have falling in love"

Best Plated Dirt Bike I have riden. Would you like the TE450 better... maybe?
Keep asking around, I have found bike guys to be really cool. I have gone riding with Steve many times. We even went to see Rush, when they came to LA on thier last tour.

Like I said, come on over and give mine a whirl.
Later man

Let me know what happens.

Last edited by SlapDrum; 10-15-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Smokin is bad for ya.. and yur KLX