Smog removal, crankcase breather, carby slide, and vortex throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
The smog removal is cosmetic, and will result in cooler exhaust temps but no real world performance improvment and as far as drilling your carb slide the dyno jet kit comes with a weaker spring that makes this unnecessary.
Hey Linkin...I think the weaker spring depends on which kit you get, doesn't it? My #2206 kit didn't come with a spring. So I guess we do one or the other...drill slider or weaker spring...both give faster response. Anyone done both? I seem to recall some one from an old post drilling the slide and clipping 2 or 3 loops off the stock spring.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Hey Linkin...I think the weaker spring depends on which kit you get, doesn't it? My #2206 kit didn't come with a spring. So I guess we do one or the other...drill slider or weaker spring...both give faster response. Anyone done both? I seem to recall some one from an old post drilling the slide and clipping 2 or 3 loops off the stock spring.
Mine came with the bit to drill the slider. Bad news though, just got putting everything back together on the bike and the throttle is sticking wide open. I lined my cables and they line up well too. Not sure what the problem is.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX250s (2009) Engine Breather Mod

This worked for me on my 2009 KLX250S. I have removed and plugged all the Calif. Emission stuff. Blocked off the airbox air stubs with plugs and added a K&N Part# 62-1020 Engine Breather. (Crankcase Vent Filter)
Start by removing the stock molded hose from the crankcase vent outlet stub and the inlet stub on the lower right of the airbox. Replace with a piece of suitable 5/8" oil resistant breather hose. About 8"-10" will reach up to the area just behind the gastank under the seat. Add a 1/2" plastic elbow to route the hose to the new K&n Crankcase Vent Filter in the open space just to the right of the top shock mount and right of the frame piece that holds the bottom of the seat. The small hose from the 90 degree plastic elbow is about 2" long an connects to the vent filter metal 5/8" spigot. Make sure the seat goes on and does not rub the new vent hose.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

There's no reason for a filter here. Many bikes, like the XR series from Honda simply have a open ended pipe for this. Think draft tube on a truck. Crankcase fumes will be exiting this pipe so if you insist on putting a filter on there for some reason, check the inside for pluggage.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Here is a quick explanation of these items

Smog removal - On the 49 state bikes, this means getting rid of the little air injection pump that sits on top of your valve cover. All it does is pumps air into your exhaust to help dilute pollutants so it can meet emissions. To remove it is to simply plug a few vacuum lines. You don't have to have the block off plate, but it is much easier with it. Also, bill blue included one in his big bore kit. This mod doesn't add any power or anything, it just cleans up the top of the engine a little bit.

Crankcase breather - If you look at the bottom of your air box, you will see a breather hose going from the top of the crankcase to the airbox. This has a factory restriction in it so you don't release excess crankcase fumes into the air. You can drill out the restriction or cap the air box and run a separate line and filter. Some say this helps the engine rev easier, but if you tip your bike over, can lead to oil all over the place. Doesn't add any power either.

Carb slide - When you get your jet kit, one of the steps it so drill the slide. This is the black piece that moves in your carb. It is just a vacuum hole that you drill out a little bigger. It is supposed to improve throttle response.

Vortex throttle - this is an aftermarket throttle tube that changes your throttle to a 1/4 turn throttle. Not very good mod for street use. Recommend only for off road and going ***** out all the time.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, very helpful.