Slowwww Leak - Tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Slowwww Leak - Tube?

I have a very slow leak in the rear. I did not find any thing wrong with the tire: no nails etc.

I did a soapy water spray bottle test and can't find any leaking. But that's probably because it's a really slow one. 2 pounds per day of pressure loss.

Any solutions besides. Replace the tube?

Any fear of a tube catastrophically failing with just a "Bang!". I mean nay risk higher than the normal rare risk we normally run

How hard is it for a noob for change the tube himself?

The shop will do it for $10 for the new tube and $12 for the Labor if I bring them the Wheel and Tire (off the bike).

DIY'er or is it worth the $22

Old 03-24-2009, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I have recently had a similar situation. I bought a tube and "spoons" and was going to do it but then the lazy man in me awoke. I did a bunch of searches here and on advrider about tire slime. I found some guys using a commercial product called "ride on tire protection system." It is for high speed mc tubed tires. I figured this may save me some work and most users are reporting their tire last longer because they run cooler. I got two 8 oz bottles on ebay for $25 shipped.

That said, learn to change the tire and do it yourself rather than pay the dealer. You may need the skill when there is just you and miles of dirt.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Mike. Thanks. Did a little looking and Liked the idea.
I put in an offer on ebay... We'll see if I can get your deal too.

Thanks, Chris

Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Chris, double check that the air isn't escaping out the tubes valve. Put soapy water in the valve. The valve could be loose, have a bad seal, or have a piece of dirt in it's sealing surface. If that's the problem you can just swap out the valve core, or if it's loose, tighten it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

just get a new heavy duty tube and be done with it. dont get scared away from changing it your self. i did it and when i was done i was confused as to why some people make it sound hard.
you tube it and youll see how easy it can be.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

dan888 - Good idea. I put 30 psi in and re-checked the Valve. It seems good.

It drops from 30 psi to about 22psi in about 24 hours. So that ~1 psi every 3 hrs.

Darn sloooooww.

Tucaz, Agreed. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll do it myself.
....Worse comes to worse, I have the shop deal with my half-baked mess

Old 03-25-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
Tucaz, Agreed. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll do it myself.
....Worse comes to worse, I have the shop deal with my half-baked mess
Yo slap, buy a field kit of three 8" spoons, bicycle tire patch kit, valve stem tool with some valve stems..along with a decent small bicycle pump....it will be less than your dealer fee.

Learn to change your own tires and patch your own tubes....TRUST ME on this one.....if this Cracker Boater can change patch a tube in the Florida swamp in summer without breaking a sweat .... ANYONE can do it....BUT it did take some practice.....and the confidence on the trails is really inspiring.

Watch the You-Tube video and prepare to curse for your first tire change...lol....you will

Learn in your garage....I did....stuff that tube in a five gallon bucket of water..you WILL see the leak

Second tire change is a little better....Third and ALL the rest are EASY....and their will be many with tires that only last 2-3k miles....just sayin

Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Changing a tire is easy. I have 2 of the 16 inch irons and 2 of the 8 inch spoons. I also installed the Kenda Heavy Duty Tubes, and after 8,000 miles on them, not a single problem.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

There are a few good Vids on TransWorldMotocross.com.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah those video's are good but that guy is working with a brand new tire. Well worn tires lose that pliability. If you run into an issue just getting the bead over the rim try using really hot water all over the side walls to get some of that pliability back.

Quick Reply: Slowwww Leak - Tube?