slipping out of gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default slipping out of gear?

Any had a problem of slipping out of 2nd gear to neutral? Check out this like at planet klx, I thought it was very interesting. Iam guessing that it's the same gear in our bike. http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/shift-fix.shtml

Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: slipping out of gear?

Interesting.... I have had that happen a couple of times, but thought (and still think to some extent) that I was just shifting too fast and put in a lame whack on the shifter so it did not go all the way into second.....

Guess it’s possible that its slipping out, something to keep in mind.

Also, if the star shift part will accentuate the shift feel more, that might be worth looking into....

Thanks for the info dmar!!

Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think someone here tried the FSW part, Kawi-Wawi maybe? I think that the neutral indicator is in a different location on ours so the neutral light is on in fifth gear instead of neutral, or something like that. You can still remove your shift star and grind it yourself, though, to duplicate what that part does.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yep, the shift star mod can be done by yourself with a bench grinder if you're careful.
It wasn't that hard at all...

Here are the two threads recounting my experiences... Good luck! I'm happy I did it.
Double snorkel & shift star fix installed
Shift star dilemma solved (sort of)

Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Very interesting... Looking back on those posts (great memory Nobrakes!!) and then looking at the pics on those links, looks like the same neutral line up problem exists today with the dual star replacement.

I like the idea of grinding them a bit, if I get a chance to pull it for some reason (like lame a$$ shifting ability..) I think I will do that.

I try not to make too many comparisons here between my old CR and this bike since they truly are (green) apples and oranges... but I have to say, the shifting on the CR wassmooth asbutter and very tight compared to this bike...

That being said,I'dstill choose a street legal dirt bike over a track bike any day... just has so much more potential..

Old 02-20-2007, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I've found that my particular model needs a more determined effort when shifting once the oil has 1000 or so miles on it. On a fresh change it has a very positive feel to shifting and will only miss a gear when I'm doing my best dragster impersonation and try to shift too quickly, the gear just doesn't grab as quick as I'm used to from riding atvs.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Mine only falls out when i dont really push it all the way into the next gear..... but thats my fault... [&:]

Old 02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Sadly Kawasaki does not have the positive shifting boxes that Honda puts together. I've ridden a bunch of KLX 250's and XR250's and the XR's have much tighter feeling indexing of the cogs. The KLX tranny's feel vague in comparison. years of racing CR's and YZ's and I can add up misshifts on one hand. The KLX gives me a nervous feeling hoping it catches the next cog and stays there. I hope the modded shift star will ramp up the confidence a bit.

When I'm back over my KLX shift star will be getting a facelift via the grinder and custom made dowel.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 AM

I think Honda makes better trannies accross the board. My CBR600F4i shifted significantly better than my '01 ZX9R did.

Although, I think the KLX shifts fairly smooth and haven;t had any isses I can remember with popping out of gear... which is good since you need to shift it so much.