Skid Plate and Brake Guard

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Default RE: Skid Plate and Brake Guard

ORIGINAL: Marty

#1 is nice, but this one is better . . . . .

I don't know who makes it, but its manufactured by some company, I wonder if there are design protections on such products?

Old 08-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

One way that I would decide on what plate to get is to see a picture from up on the bike pointing the camera down. Because I want it to look as good to me as it looks and functions on the bottom side.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a CRD plate and I got it off ebay, but the guy I got it off don't have any more

yours look good Mike if I was going to buy one it would be #1 ... although I like the look of #2 better [&:]

Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Mav,

That's not my finished product, those pictures are just examples of what I'm going for. I'll have some pics of mine mounted by the end of next week.

Mike

Old 08-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's the MSR skid plate for reference. As I mentioned, I'd much prefer a wrap-around. The CRD looks really nice. Sullydirt, if you can offer something like the CRD for in the $60 range, I think you will clean up the competition. Note the triangle of bolts on the frame's drop tube - I think that would be a good place to mount a seperate protector for the radiator hoses, just a thought. Also, it's not a great shot, but you can see how the MSR skid plate interferes with the coolant drain bolt.

Edit: fix image link

Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 AM

Being the boy has taken out his stator cover on a little off road excursion on the Iron Mountain Road I'd be more apt to buy a wrap around plate.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:33 PM

If it ends up being close to the CRD, I'll be buying one.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:19 AM

What we really need is a safe kick-stand modification that won't stab you if you go down but will make parking a KLX250 a stable event!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll cast my vote for the #1 wrap-around style. I'm on the fence about buying the CRD skid plate - I like the style and coverage, but not the price. (FWIW - I read that style #2 is called a "glide plate".) The "wings" that Kawasaki welded on for use are a feable attempt at protection, but better than nothing, I suppose. Makes it more difficult for mounting a serious plate, but CRD seems to have that issue solved.

One aspect that I've read about in other forums is the problem with mud accumulating between the skid plate and the engine ... apparently some vendors sell some foam to fill up that area so that mud can't get in there. Don't know how that impacts oil drain plugs and stuff.

If you need someone to test a design prototype in a colder Northern climate, just let me know!

Mike

Old 08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Sullydirt, any updates on this. I'd be interested once you get it finished.

Quick Reply: Skid Plate and Brake Guard