Signing out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

From what I'm hearing on other forums, folks just take them to the dealer and they have the tools to load different maps at no charge, which is the EFI equivalent of rejetting. Most people elect for the "competition" map. They are off-road only so no emissions BS.

I think the news for 2011 is that the 570 version will be street legal. The 450 and 390 are still off-road only, from what I'm hearing. I do not know if it is hard to get them plated - most KTM's are easy, and Husaberg is owned by KTM, so maybe it's similar? I don't know. I think that all depends on how the title is done, and whether the VIN number indicates off-road only. And of course, which state you are in, i.e., you can plate anything in Texas, and damn near nothing in California. lol At any rate, my riding has evolved, or devolved, depending on how you look at it, to the point where off-road only would not be too much of a constraint for me anymore.

I'll make the switch hopefully in a few months, finances permitting. I can't afford to buy one without selling my beloved, though. And I can't quite bring myself to put it on craigslist.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

I felt the same about my Kawi. But then I got the money in my hand to pay for the KTM (even though I bought it already), and took it for a ride. Felt better immediately.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, after discussing finances with the CFO, I think I might be doing this sooner rather than later. Also, looks like most of the titles DO NOT say off-road only and plating the 'Bergs is similar to KTM's. Unless it comes from a NY dealership, and then for some reason they are putting off-road only on them. At any rate, that will be something I discuss with wherever I buy it from. At this point, I'm hoping to pick up a left over '10 model, either a 390 or 450, leaning toward the 390. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Nj also has the offroad only on the titles. The dealer I talked to in PA saif it was no problem getting a plate. Good luck finding a 2010 390 at this point. Canyon Motorsports still had a 450 on the floor, they were the ones that said a plate was no problem. http://www.canyonmotorsports.com/