Show us your tool kit and innovative ideas

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Show us your tool kit and innovative ideas

I will admit I have developed a slight OCD issue with the tool kit for my klx250s. Fabricating tools, multi-purpose tools, trying to save 20g here and there show us and let us know what you have for your bike. I'll take some photos tonight and post, but I thought I could throw it open to share some ideas.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Angry

Had a few experiences recently that made me take a careful look at the what ACTUAL tools i was carrying in relation to the KLX. I had put together a heap of tool for what i thought I needed from odd bits, while my good tools sat at home looking good in the workshop and using them for maintaining the bike. Specifically I was let down by;

1. Having cheap, short allen keys that are really poorly sized and round off.

2. Having a 3/8 t-bar socket set where the diameter of the 8mm made it impossible to fit onto crucial bolts around the engine.

3. Did not have a 8mm open ended spanner.

4. Cold welded bolts that easily stripped, could have been avoided by using Loctite anti-seize during routine maintenance.

Have not had a chance to take a photo but I wanted to list what I think is a tool kit that suits my mechanical ability to get me out of trouble on solo rides (I don't plan on ripping the engine top off out bush). I have started carrying this list all the time in a US5 Kriega tail bag to the replace the stock bag. In it sits a tool roll, and all up weighs 3kg.

Sliding 1/2inch breaker bar with 19/27mm sockets (for axles, sprocket and steering head)
1/4inch ratchet, extension and 8,10,11,12,13mm sockets
Open combination spanners 10/12,13/14 and 17/22(for axles, fabricated from original kit)
Spark plug socket - from original kit
Needle nose vise grips
Long allen wrenches 4/5/6/8mm
Leatherman Wave
Double ended screwdriver
2 tyre irons, cable tied to rear subframe
Valve remover
Tyre gauge
CO2 valve and 3 bottles
Cable ties/ bolts/ pins and wire
Light stick/ lighter
Tow rope
Permanent marker pen
Mini can of WD40
Oiled spare air filter vacuum packed
21 inch tube vaccuum packed with talcom and carried in jacket
Flat kit
3L of water in hydration pack

I was looking at these Kincrome reverse gear spanner set 12 in 3. With 1/4inch and 1/2inch socket adapters I could lose the ratchet, the breaker bar, and combination bars. Kincrome 3 Piece Metric Reverse Gear Spanner Set 12-in-3 . #K3007

Don't carry much in the way of first aid, and phones are useless were I ride. So I tell someone a rough area I am riding in. Really should get one of those SPOT devices. I do forest rides, fairly remote, solo and the odd overnight trip.

Anyway for me this pretty much covers the lot. Any thoughts would be appreciated, am I missing anything crucial? And no I don't plan on riding the KLX around the world, I just never want to have to ride home 80km in second
gear again because of some really silly tool choices over a really easy trail fix

Do you have a really good set-up that lives on the bike that you would like to share?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Works for me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44949758@N05/4437505228/http://www.flickr.com/photos/44949758@N05/4437505228/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/44949758@N05/, on Flickr

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 AM
1st Gear Member

you just really never know how big of a repair you might need..

Attached Thumbnails Show us your tool kit and innovative ideas-dsc01809.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

youd be suprised how far I got putting a big bore kit on with jus tthe tools in my on-bike kit... which is pretty damn small.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I carry the stock kit plus a few goodies. They're very useful for my buddy's bikes (hondr and yarma)

Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I think I would be Banned if I put a Picture of my" TOOL" kit and posted it..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I split up my tools on the bike to distribute the weight better. I have a few tools in a tool pack on the front fender and a few tools in the rack bag. I have 2 small tire irons, but I always want at least one meaty tire iron to pry those nasty DOT knobbies off and use the smaller ones to hold the tire bead stationary. I mounted this 12 or 14 inch tire iron on the sprocket side frame member by using the upper chain roller bolt, a couple of pieces of insulating rubber, and a pair of zip ties. This thing stays put, doesn't rattle, and doesn't hurt the frame.

That said, ever since using the Neutech Tubliss system, I haven't had to use it...LOL!

Attached Thumbnails Show us your tool kit and innovative ideas-tire-iron-mount.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC - I like that - good idea

I only carry basic tools on the trail and cross my fingers. hahaa

Here's a tool I made though when I needed to swap out a valve.. I didn't have a valve spring compressor so I made this. Used it with a vice and it worked perfectly

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I split up my tools on the bike to distribute the weight better. I have a few tools in a tool pack on the front fender and a few tools in the rack bag. I have 2 small tire irons, but I always want at least one meaty tire iron to pry those nasty DOT knobbies off and use the smaller ones to hold the tire bead stationary. I mounted this 12 or 14 inch tire iron on the sprocket side frame member by using the upper chain roller bolt, a couple of pieces of insulating rubber, and a pair of zip ties. This thing stays put, doesn't rattle, and doesn't hurt the frame.

That said, ever since using the Neutech Tubliss system, I haven't had to use it...LOL!
definatley stealing your idea =)

Quick Reply: Show us your tool kit and innovative ideas