Shift Star Mod Install ISSUES???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Shift Star Mod Install ISSUES???

I purchased the fourstrokeworks shift star mod and I am having some issues with the install...

I had everythign assembled, and i put the shifter on and tried to shift the gears. The bike seems to shift and much firmer than it previously did. Mind you I do not have any oil in it yet but the bike will not shift through all of the gears. It seems like it is getting hung up around 3rd or 4th gear. Also, the bike will shift without squeezing the clutch.

So I naturally took it all back apart and I thrn tried to shift it without putting the cover back on so I could see what was going on down there.

When I had the parts all apart, I compared the stock star to the mod star. It seems like the pegs on the mod are closer together than the stock star. I dont know if this has anyting to do with it or not...

In any case,

Should the bike be able to be shifted without me squeezing the clutch?

Should the bike be able to be shifted through the entire gear set while sitting still and without oil in it? Because I cannot get past 3rd or 4th gear!

It just seems as if its shifting up up up and then boom it will not go up any more.

I appreciate any help you gys can give me. THis is really starting to **** me off!!! lol

Thanks,
MAXXXXXX

Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes you can shift without using the clutch. You can't always get through all the gears unless the bike is rolling. There is nothing wrong, just put it all together, fill the oil and ride it.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

You can spin the countershaft by hand to see it shift all the way through the gears, Just take the spark plug out.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

+1
"Yes you can shift without using the clutch. You can't always get through all the gears unless the bike is rolling."

Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IQOUTLAW
I purchased the fourstrokeworks shift star mod and I am having some issues with the install...

I had everythign assembled, and i put the shifter on and tried to shift the gears. The bike seems to shift and much firmer than it previously did. Mind you I do not have any oil in it yet but the bike will not shift through all of the gears. It seems like it is getting hung up around 3rd or 4th gear. Also, the bike will shift without squeezing the clutch.

So I naturally took it all back apart and I thrn tried to shift it without putting the cover back on so I could see what was going on down there.

When I had the parts all apart, I compared the stock star to the mod star. It seems like the pegs on the mod are closer together than the stock star. I dont know if this has anyting to do with it or not...

In any case,

Should the bike be able to be shifted without me squeezing the clutch?

Should the bike be able to be shifted through the entire gear set while sitting still and without oil in it? Because I cannot get past 3rd or 4th gear!

It just seems as if its shifting up up up and then boom it will not go up any more.

I appreciate any help you gys can give me. THis is really starting to **** me off!!! lol

Thanks,
MAXXXXXX

All good responses here.

What I would add is to call Jerry to double check your installation before you button it up completely. Last thing I knew, the neutral indicator cam is not quite right on that star, but ask Jerry so he can clear that up as well. He may well have fixed that issue by now.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

If you are putting it on a 250s it will have some issues, unless Jerry now has a 250s specific star. Someone tried it a while ago.

EDIT- what Dean said he beat me to it.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the help guys! I am putting it on an 06 250s. I noticed that the neutral indicator was a little different but im not worried about that, I am running a trailtech vapor guage and and never had that hooked up anyways.

This is really the first time I have ever tore into this thing so I just wanted to make sure I didnt have something binding it up and causing the shifting issu.

Now that you guys cleared that up, Im pretty confident that everything will be good. The few gears I have shifted through have had a much more positive feeling of engagement though.

Thanks,
MAXX

Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I do remember someone else had issues with the star shifter mod from 4 stroke works on the 06 or newer. I'd suggest what Tremor38 said give Jerry a ring just to satisfy yourself all is good.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

That was me that had problems - I posted a couple threads on it...
I ended up grinding my own shift star in the end (copying the FSW star as best I could), and it worked well.

Remember if your neutral indicator is not coming on at the right time, then the lockout circuitry had better be disabled, otherwise you may not be able to start the bike. There is a circuit which disables the starter when not in neutral.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Good thread guys. I love seeing good questions followed by good answers. It's all.........good.

Quick Reply: Shift Star Mod Install ISSUES???